-==L=a=N=c=E==-

The Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars, Fast Women
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:52 PM

ROME: the wolf ecu comes plug in these days. The only thing you need to do is plug in the unit, plumb in the air intake sensor, and feed a vacuum line to the unit and its preatty much 'turn key'. Both Paul and Classique71 have these units now.

True. My only thought is should I spent the extra $300 and get the full kit? I mean is the hand unit you get useful or just a but of flashy wank?

I guess it would save me over time so I don't need temp gauges with all the sensors you get with it.

But, the whole idea of making it plug in, is using all the stock sensors. You don't need all the other fancy stuff anymore. The only thing you need is the air temp sensor.

And last time i checked, the wolf3d+handcontroller is around $1500 retail. Plus another $500 for tuning, it works out cheaper. And the handcontroller is a wank unless your going to tune it yourself.
Richard - "Never enough power. Just not enough traction."

Do you need 3S-GTE/ST185 technical articles? Look at my collection HERE

#32 ST205 GT-Four

ST205 GT-Four

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:03 PM

Hand controllers can be useful. Wouldnt you like to know if your car is detonating?? I know i would.

The power FC actually flashes your engine light when knock is detected, aswell as displaying it on the hand controller. Also when your injectors reach a preset duty cycle (ie, 100%).
For Sale:1995 ST205 Toyota Celica GT-Four

#33 3S-GTE_Man

3S-GTE_Man

More GO Than Show!

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:46 PM

yeah and hand controles can like show u boost of what the computer think it getting and air intake temps. awater temp in a degrees...can save on many, many gauges...and the red and black of it will suit my black interior...lol
Neil aka Nezza

Yes its a hairdressers car, no I'm not one. No I wont cut your hair, but I'll cut you up with my hairdrier!

RIP...1988 GT-2...Skyline/WRX/V8/EVO EATER ________________________________________ 1994 ST204 Progress Page...Will be a 400+hp FWD beast

#34 shelly

shelly

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:computers, sport, pussy cats, megasquirt ecu, electronic repairs

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:45 AM

[quote name='berad' date='Apr 24 2005, 09:06 PM' post='29201']
ems stinger 4424.....

and if your on a budget do a search on the "megasquirt" ecu quality ecu for the price.... a m8 has it comes with full loom with all sensors for ur car etc.. but you have to tune it yourself as noone tunes it cauz its like.. i dunno ppl just dont tune it end of story but good ecu think its like 500 bucks with software loom like a 100page help and tuning book

did your m8 ever tune it?

pussy cats are more humane then people

#35 Spectre

Spectre

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

Wolf do a plug and play ECU for the ST185's. Based on the one they installed in my car.

The hand controller isn't just wank... I use it to keep an eye on engine temps, air intake temps, volts, etc etc. It even shows duty cycle of injectors.

It is slightly harder to find good wolf tuners over here in WA though...

#36 tangcla

tangcla

OZCelica Guru

• APPROVED VENDOR
  • 6,201 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

I've been told by one of the distributors for Wolf that they're a nuisance to tune though, as in their software for tuning isn't the greatest.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L S
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

#37 shelly

shelly

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (tangcla @ Jun 26 2008, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been told by one of the distributors for Wolf that they're a nuisance to tune though, as in their software for tuning isn't the greatest.

megasquirts are like linux great but not really plug and play like windows
if i ever get this working well i might have a job installing other gt4's if not i may just repair car ecu's a lot more basic then laptops and no one wants to pay more then $200 get laptop motherboards repaired

#38 Spectre

Spectre

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (tangcla @ Jun 26 2008, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why you have to make sure you get someone that knows how to tune a wolf. Not just any old tuner that goes "oh yeah we can tune it".

Im not game to let someone learn how to tune a Wolf ECU on my engine.

#39 tangcla

tangcla

OZCelica Guru

• APPROVED VENDOR
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

The idea of tunes isn't the hardware and installation, it's the tuning that's the expensive and experienced part. Anyone with a bit of common sense and technical knowledge (and know how to read wiring diagrams! biggrin.gif) can fit it, but unless you know what you're doing when you tune the ECU, you will either end up with a] little gains, or b] break something.

#40 Spectre

Spectre

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (tangcla @ Jun 26 2008, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unless you know what you're doing when you tune the ECU, you will either end up with a] little gains, or b] break something.

Exactly...

#41 tangcla

tangcla

OZCelica Guru

• APPROVED VENDOR
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Spectre @ Jun 26 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why you have to make sure you get someone that knows how to tune a wolf. Not just any old tuner that goes "oh yeah we can tune it".

The mob I speak of does know how to tune it, just would rather do something that has more intuitive software than the Wolf tune smile.gif He said the hardware is great, but the software to set parameters suck royal balls.

I suppose there's not much option for 3S-GTE nowadays - especially since the PowerFC is now discontinued.

#42 trdee

trdee

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:20 PM

adaptronics are supposed to be kickarse. apparently have some sort of "adaptive" system that can adjust for minor to moderate modifications without the need for retune. and cheap too. RRP $1100

#43 Cuts

Cuts

ST205 FTW

• Admin
  • 5,968 posts
  • Interests:Things
    Stuff
    Other
  • STATE:TAS

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:10 AM

ill go. Im running a power fc pro, which was for the mr2 more specifically but runs the 205 as long as you dont need the intercooler water pump control, (fmic ftw) it has a soft rev limiter and launch control which not many other power fc's have. Im pretty happy with it, easy option, and plug and play is so much easier.

they are getting outdated now but if you can find one its a good option as many tuners know them.

ohh and having the datalogit software is handy too.

ST205 Group A Rallye, #61 of 77......350kw atw @ 23 psi on E85. http://www.ozcelica....up-a-rallye-61/
GRX133 Mark X 350s http://www.ozcelica....cuts-new-daily/

#44 TitMeat

TitMeat

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE (Spectre @ Jun 26 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah i found out the hard way ..when i got the new turbo and wolfv4 tuned..(was the only place in perth that tuned wolf with awd dyno ) it stalls all the time when the motor is cold ..have to keep the foot on the accelerator constantly to keep it reving (usually for 10 mins once started).....when i spoke to the ppl that tuned it that said that they couldnt tune the steppers ? ..doesnt mean shit to me cos im still learning ...i got this wolf from jordan that was a part of a group buy...and everyone elses v4 has worked fine
bullshit tuners i think
planning on putting the stock turbo and stock ecu back in it and selling them soon ..and then the car
had a gutfull of this shit ...
i could use your advice lance!! on tuning etc.
i even had to pay a extra $300 for them to send the ecu back to melb because it wouldnt start when they connected it
and its still F***ed

#45 tangcla

tangcla

OZCelica Guru

• APPROVED VENDOR
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:07 AM

hehe... another ST185 happy camper tongue.gif haha

#46 shelly

shelly

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

yeah i found out the hard way ..when i got the new turbo and wolfv4 tuned..(was the only place in perth that tuned wolf with awd dyno ) it stalls all the time when the motor is cold ..have to keep the foot on the accelerator constantly to keep it reving (usually for 10 mins once started).....when i spoke to the ppl that tuned it that said that they couldnt tune the steppers

how many ppl are actually happy with there after market ecu?

#47 Spectre

Spectre

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

Mine stalls when cold and I have the air-con on when slowing down to traffic lights. Other than that it is reasonable. I don't have extensive experience with aftermarket ECU's though.

#48 71MEH

71MEH

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (trdee @ Jun 26 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
adaptronics are supposed to be kickarse. apparently have some sort of "adaptive" system that can adjust for minor to moderate modifications without the need for retune. and cheap too. RRP $1100

im happy as with my adaptronic as trdee said their nice and cheap and do the job.

mine is equal to a power FC as it has all the gear to run lots of stuff lol

dual fuel/ignition maps for NOS/Meth injection

has Launch control/anti-lag
controls AC, idle, elec boost control, fuel pump and all the other crap.

also has the input for a wideband so it can do the self tuning. all my tunes were road tunes in mainly 2nd and 3rd gear for power runs. cold starts are kick ass and idle is great. he uses a wide band o2 sensor and for ignition we found a stock aggressive 185 jap spec ignition map and used that as a base for mine.

Goes hard as
also has soft and hard rev limmiters which have an adjustable hysteresis and also a cold temp rev limmiter which is cool

Does anyone has the files to their ecu maps id be interested to see what others ignition maps look like

Edited by 71MEH, 27 June 2008 - 06:25 PM.

90 SW20 GT MR2 - Black Targa Top
  • Built Gen 2 engine: forged pistons/rods, 86.5 bore, cometic 1.6mm head gasket, 5sfe high volume oil pump, Head port and polish, Kelford 260 duration 10.5/10mm lift cams, ferrea 6000 SS 1mm Oversize valves, Stock gen2 intake (TVIS deleted), bigger side mount intercooler with stock fan, stock exhaust manifold, high flowed CT20b (unknown), Aussie dump, 3inch exhaust. Walbro GSS 342 fuel pump.
  • Adaptronic 1280 ecu, Devils Own Water/Meth injection, DO3,5,7 nozzles, Eboost solenoid.
  • Stock gearbox, overhauled drive shafts.
  • stock wheels, shit tyres

#49 EVL-184

EVL-184

NSW Cruise Dude

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Spectre @ Jun 26 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The hand controller isn't just wank... I use it to keep an eye on engine temps, air intake temps, volts, etc etc. It even shows duty cycle of injectors.

Is that the hand controller, or the dash kit.?
Ive got the dash kit, and true, its awesome!

Attached File  00000895_632479.gif   53.13KB   6 downloads

QUOTE (EVL-184 @ Oct 10 2007, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So basically, its a massive get together with 1000s of other peeps that u may or may not know ,and u all get on the disco biscuts,and dance for 12 hrs.??

Yeah sounds like a blast !!

QUOTE (Twin Cam @ Feb 27 2006, 01:43 PM)
richie man ur car is a fuken a bad ass mofo......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (NGHTKD @ Jul 29 2006, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. EVL 184 is the shiz.

Now rolling in a USB Lexus Is-F
238.9 kws at wheels on only 17 psi ...lol
Now with St205 Brakes...
MR2TRDLSD goodness now fitted, Look for the twin smoking lines.!!..
Trusted members include....blakeg,GT42NV,TwinCam,Sharmz,And of course RONIN!!
More to follow....

#50 3S-GTE_Man

3S-GTE_Man

More GO Than Show!

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (EVL-184 @ Jun 27 2008, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that the hand controller, or the dash kit.?
Ive got the dash kit, and true, its awesome!

Attached File  00000895_632479.gif   53.13KB   6 downloads

yeah them dash kits are good...everyone i think was talking about the normal red/black hand controler...they are not that bad really...

but yeah my old old Mt8 microtech is a basic ecu...two things it couldn't do idle cold and start easy hot.....cold starts it started with a tap of the key....really easy....most of it comes down to the tuner too but yeah the mircotech wouldn't idle cold is cause it had not cold idle stepper motor control so yeah and if i had the stocko ecu plugs tot eh stocko stepper motor she would say open and idle real high when warm so yeah i just lived with sitting in the car warming her up.....i'm going to runt he microtech for a little while in the new celica but after that it autronic or something with all teh options to do that all properly and CDi direct coil igintion. so yeah not much more you need.
Neil aka Nezza

Yes its a hairdressers car, no I'm not one. No I wont cut your hair, but I'll cut you up with my hairdrier!

RIP...1988 GT-2...Skyline/WRX/V8/EVO EATER ________________________________________ 1994 ST204 Progress Page...Will be a 400+hp FWD beast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users