bboyzell

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hi everyone
Been looking for a bit of info but no luck, im trying to find a easy way to remove the instrument panel in a st184

Now im wanting to do this to see if i can change the dash globes (guessing they are t10s) to a different colour as im getting sick of the factory washed out green.

So does anyone know if either 1, you can get out the instrument panel out without rippin out the dash

And 2 can you easly change the globes over and what kind of globe they are

Cheers
My Trusted Sellers

Bud
subculture
TRDCelica90

#2 sneaky184

sneaky184

Sneaky184

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

You don't have to remove the dash it's not that hard to do might take awhile if its your first time doing it.. just takes some patience really

#3 WaynO

WaynO

OZCelica Junkie

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 4,065 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Yeah its fairly straight forward... certainly if you've done it as many times as I have! chuckles.gif

Adjust steering column down if you can. Take off middle panel. Unscrew the upper panel and pull out just slightly to get to screws for the cluster. Unscrew them and wedge out on a slight angle. 4 T10's and 2 T5s from memory... can't remember the 5SFE cluster very well now days but definately 4 T10s! Happy Modding!!

#4 Digital Cruiser

Digital Cruiser

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

If anyone has removed a ST185 instrument cluster... Can you take a pic and list down the number of bulbs required...

ALSO! if anyone has removed the air con cluster... I know it's a pain do it.. but most of my lights are blown and I have to go by feel to adjust the settings... not a good idea when driving fast smile.gif

#5 Spectre

Spectre

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:40 PM

http://www.alltrac.n...p;highlight=led

Check that guide out.

Though I think the US cluster is slightly different to the Australian one... Just pull your cluster out and double check before you guy buying bulbs.

I also wouldn't bother changing any of the warning lights, or indicator bulbs. They look exactly the same, and I had issues with a few staying lit due to a variance in resistance.

#6 bboyzell

bboyzell

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for that link, very helpful
My Trusted Sellers

Bud
subculture
TRDCelica90

#7 Digital Cruiser

Digital Cruiser

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

Spectre.... You don't happen to know where a write up of the ignition halo, ash tray and cigarette lighter lights... Do you?

Also... How can you test if the warning lights work? I know how to test the fuel low warning light.. But how can you test if the others are blown or not blown? Apart from the initial IG startup...

Edited by Digital Cruiser, 17 August 2009 - 02:15 PM.

#8 Spectre

Spectre

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Digital Cruiser @ Aug 17 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spectre.... You don't happen to know where a write up of the ignition halo, ash tray and cigarette lighter lights... Do you?

Also... How can you test if the warning lights work? I know how to test the fuel low warning light.. But how can you test if the others are blown or not blown? Apart from the initial IG startup...

The ash tray and cigarette lighter are all accessible if you take the center console out. I don't have a write up, but I've changed mine. They use the same globes as the warning lights.

No idea how to test the warning lights. Once I worked out which way the globes went in, I just made sure I put them all in the same way.

#9 Digital Cruiser

Digital Cruiser

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

I thought I might point out....

If you are changing the cigarette lighter halo, don't go ripping out the bulb with force as it maybe a sealed unit.

I learnt that the hard way tonight. GF stuffed up my A/C switches, so whilst I was fixing up the A/C I thought I might as well change my cigarette lighter halo. Tried like crazy to pull out the bulb but it wouldn't give so I tried a pair of pliers.... Ended up shattering the bulb itself... Anyways, I got the bulb out and when I looked down.. The bulb was soldered on and it wasn't really a socket sad.gif

Just thought I point that out so people (in the future) searching the forum for this information will take a good look before doing what I did.... Now I've gotta go steal a cigarette lighter halo from the wreckers! or maybe solder on my LED bulb after some HEAVY modifications (cutting the connector down to size)

#10 sydneyGT4

sydneyGT4

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (Digital Cruiser @ Feb 22 2010, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought I might point out....

If you are changing the cigarette lighter halo, don't go ripping out the bulb with force as it maybe a sealed unit.

I learnt that the hard way tonight. GF stuffed up my A/C switches, so whilst I was fixing up the A/C I thought I might as well change my cigarette lighter halo. Tried like crazy to pull out the bulb but it wouldn't give so I tried a pair of pliers.... Ended up shattering the bulb itself... Anyways, I got the bulb out and when I looked down.. The bulb was soldered on and it wasn't really a socket sad.gif

Just thought I point that out so people (in the future) searching the forum for this information will take a good look before doing what I did.... Now I've gotta go steal a cigarette lighter halo from the wreckers! or maybe solder on my LED bulb after some HEAVY modifications (cutting the connector down to size)

LOL Cutting down some plastic is creating a heavily modified car wink.gif

seriously a handy note to anybody doing the same smile.gif
Ben #400 - Now with the heart of a wolf.
1990 ST185 - JDM, 103.0kws July 06 --> 151.1kws Dec 08
Runner Up 'Quickest AWD' at Toyota Nationals 2008.
WSID: 15.688@82.59 (Weak ;) ) : Wakefield 1:16.2
Pics - Photos Wakefiled Aug 27th Trackday Vids - http://www.youtube.com

#11 Digital Cruiser

Digital Cruiser

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (sydneyGT4 @ Feb 23 2010, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL Cutting down some plastic is creating a heavily modified car wink.gif

seriously a handy note to anybody doing the same smile.gif

lolhit.gif woot.gif

#12 st182er

st182er

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

thread bump.

Sorry about the thread bump I just wanted to save this because I am planning to do it soon. going redddd

sig_zpsmro1wsns.png

#13 JB.

JB.

Forum Member

• WA Moderator
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Things and stuff...and things

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

Maybe you could take some photos while you do it and create a better 'How-to' thread? Maybe then it can be pinned for further use by other members?

If you do one for 5th Gen, I'll do one for 6th Gen. I've done it countless times and will be doing again soon. =)

Ride Thread

Formerly: Jaybo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users