OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • Interests:Metal Music, Coffee, Cars, Bikes, Computers
  • STATE:WA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hey guys,

im thinking up a long term project for myself as i feel like im coming to the point with my celica where i dont want to go any further with it. As in im happy where its at. Its an awesome daily, an absolute blast in the corners, but i feel unless you lash out and spend big bucks on turbo kits then you cant reach that next level. Plus im not the biggest fan of FWD + Turbo, id perfer a FWD + NA setup.

I absolutely love Toyotas, the quality of there products and wanted to stay with a Toyota plus having a 2ZZ-GE its such a great little engine, gets really impressive fuel economy vs its power output. However a RWD platform for the 2ZZ would be something great. However there is really nothing available unless you go all out. So doing some inital research seem the W30 MR-2 is absolutely perfect for the 2Z treatment. For those that dont know the W30 comes with a 1ZZ-FE and this semi auto style gearbox.

My plan would be to totally do away with the 1ZZ and the auto and get a 2ZZ and a 6spd (most likely from a Celica, however a Sportivo could work). Looking at the specs the W30 weighs around 910kg. In terms of engine mods, replace all the consumable bits while its out, new clutch kit, lighten flywheel, get some PPE headers that fit the MR2 body, maybe a DDIM + PFC (Depends on money situation). Definately try get some Rays, Volks, Work wheels, possibly a nice big brake kit all around. Coilovers, sway bars, make the thing a beast in the corners. Something similar to an elise/exige but obviously at a fraction of the cost.

Things im interested in from anyone thats done it or has any knowledge, whats the process for getting engineers and approved. As i understand you can go up 15-20% power in the motor without much hassle. I want this to become more of a side project i can work on, rather than be dependant as my daily drivers.
Cheers guys

Edited by Thirteen13, 23 January 2013 - 07:57 AM.

Posted Image

#2 pinkst162formylady

pinkst162formylady

OZCelica Junkie

• WA Moderator
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

There's at least one dude here thats done it. In wa also, phung i think name was. But dunno were hes at now.

You can get kits for it cant you? I believe all the info you need is on 2brutal.com or something.

#3 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Yeah MWR and quite a few joints in the US sell new mounts, w301zz to 2z plugs to make the vvtli engage, headers to fit, dipstick kit, gear selecter bits, so can get the custom bits.

its just enginners and rego I wanna know about
Posted Image

#4 2many2s

2many2s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

I am in the middle of doing the swap at the moment. The Spyders already handle great in the twistys so you have a really good base to work on. I have not had it engineered yet but talking to my local guy who owns a Spyder and imports cars and is accredited under the new engineering laws here there should not be a problem and there are a couple of 2zz ones getting around. The one mentioned above is actually over here getting some work done on it at the moment.
You will need a 2zz and gearbox ( better out of celica as the shifters are on the right side)
Dipstick tube
Engine mount
Reverse block out
Selector shaft
5 speed selector mechanism
Shifter and boot (Celica one is the same just mount it backwards.)
Clutch pedal
Master cylinder
Gear selector cables
ECU (Recomend early celica for the higher limit.)
1zz manual engine harness ( the original can be hacked and wires added but for looks and simplicity its easier with new harness)
Clutch line ( get made up by someone like Pirtek)
Dash gauge pod JDM as its in Km , the original can be used but apparently you wil get a warning light staying on which will not pass rego.
some parts are swapped over from the 1zz eg hoses etc.
You shouldnt need a bigger brake kit as the Spyder has excellent brakes, just good pads
The Spyder is over 1000kg too not 910. Weighed mine last weekend slightly stripped but with spare , passenger seat and roll bar came in at 1018kg
Its a ZZW30 too , didnt know what you were talking about when talking W30.
Also called Spyder, Roadster, MRS, ZDub, hairdressers car.
I own 3 and 3 ADubs.

Edited by 2many2s, 19 February 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#5 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Alright cheers mr 2 many.

In terms of W30, its like any Toyota, the first single or set of letters indicates engine family and the last set indicates chassis, i realise 1zz/2zz its still a ZZW30, but i was just assuming most people who owned toyotas knew what i would mean :D.
In terms of weight its just a figure ive seen thrown around before so i wasnt taking it too seriously. Even still its quite low!

Most of those bits and pieces you can buy premade from joints off the shelf, but still its very handy to speak to someone who is doing it. How far are you into it?
Posted Image

#6 2many2s

2many2s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Never heard anyone call it a W30 is all.
I have all the bits plus extras sitting here and 1ZZ out and in another car. 2ZZ and 6 speed out of celica sitting on trolley waiting to go in. Diff pulled apart as working on throwing a LSD into it. Picked up the custom parts in US and stock manual parts in UK. Also have a TRD short shifter and Power FC ECU for once it is regoed.

#7 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Awesome, i was thinking about buying a celica for its 2zz setup and swapping the 1zz in and making it a SS-1/GT but then i dunno if its worth working on two cars. Might just be easier to buy a zzt231 half cut. Could be like calling a mk4 supra an A80, or celica a T231, just leaving off the engine pre-fix, i guess its more common when you start doing swaps like MA61 to JZA61, or MX73 to UX73, with the ZZ engine cars your just going from a 1ZZ to a 2ZZ so techinically its a ZZW30 to a ZZW30 lol.

Have you got pics 2man ?

Edited by Thirteen13, 27 January 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Posted Image

#8 2many2s

2many2s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Have to get my pics together and work on a build thread.
  • Champ likes this

#9 celicajim

celicajim

OZCelica Junkie

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 2,075 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

2zz power in an MR2 = poor mans Lotus

A guy on another forum managed to pickup a JDM ZZW30 with the 5spd manual and 1zz, I think it may have been a private import. He then dropped in a 2zz and an LSD and bam lots of fun (and a 1.40sec lap time at Winton).

Alternatively wouldn't it be easier to strap a Rotrex blower onto a 1zz?

Celica ---| 117.5 fwkw | 1:44.19 - Winton (Semi Slicks) | 1:48.53 - Winton (Street Tyres) | 1:13.39 - Wakefield (Semi Slicks) | 1:16.17 - Wakefield (Street Tyres) | Phillip Island 2:07.62 (MM & Semi Slicks) | My Celica |
Silvia ----| 133.3 rwkw | 1:XX.XX - Winton (Semi Slicks) | 1:43.67 - Winton (Street Tyres) | 1:XX.XX - Wakefield (Semi Slicks) | 1:12.77 - Wakefield (Street Tyres) | Phillip Island X:XX.XX (Semi Slicks) |

#10 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

But u dont get the 2ZZ awesomeness!
Yes the 2zz MR2 is a poor mans lotus, but that suits me fine :D
Posted Image

#11 celicajim

celicajim

OZCelica Junkie

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I wasn't meaning poor mans lotus as a bad thing, the underdog / bang for buck thing is a plus in my book.

Celica ---| 117.5 fwkw | 1:44.19 - Winton (Semi Slicks) | 1:48.53 - Winton (Street Tyres) | 1:13.39 - Wakefield (Semi Slicks) | 1:16.17 - Wakefield (Street Tyres) | Phillip Island 2:07.62 (MM & Semi Slicks) | My Celica |
Silvia ----| 133.3 rwkw | 1:XX.XX - Winton (Semi Slicks) | 1:43.67 - Winton (Street Tyres) | 1:XX.XX - Wakefield (Semi Slicks) | 1:12.77 - Wakefield (Street Tyres) | Phillip Island X:XX.XX (Semi Slicks) |

#12 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I havent seen inside a ZW30 yet with a 2Z, waiting for 2many's pics. But wouldnt the intake side be limited for space. Whta about the exhaust size ? A turbo swap would be ideal if space permited
Posted Image

#13 celicajim

celicajim

OZCelica Junkie

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

What space?
Posted Image

#14 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

then NA FTW :thumbup:
Posted Image

#15 2many2s

2many2s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

My track car has the 1zz turbo and if you want to see pics check out Spyderchat. just about every car there has done the 2zz swap.

#16 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

cheers 2m. Just checked it out there are some pretty nice MR2 on there.
Hey just quickly, is there a link with a detailed write up on the 2Z swap. I see many people have or are doing it and there write ups, but they are a bit unconclusive or short to make sense off.
I understand the theory and what needs to be done, but to be able to have a guide makes life 10x easier
Posted Image

#17 2many2s

2many2s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

i have a couple saved I think but they all tend to have a lot off added crap through them. It would be great to have one detailed rundown on the swap and the little bits and piecesw but at the moment its just read a lot of swap threads. Will check the ones I have.

#18 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

awesome, yeah i know what you mean people start asking stupid questions and they go off on wild tangents.

Just a write up from start to finish what you need and how it ended up
Posted Image

#19 pinkst162formylady

pinkst162formylady

OZCelica Junkie

• WA Moderator
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

http://www.mr2austra...x?m=88580&high=

#20 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

road and track seems like the man
Posted Image

#21 2many2s

2many2s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

He charges you for it though. You can chase up the parts easy enough and a lot cheaper. Depends how much you want to do yourself.

#22 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yea I assumed as much. Depending on postage, the US bits seem not to bad
Posted Image

#23 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Just in regards to normal manual box. What bits and pieces are required. im assuming taking a guess here but the manual pedal, and master cylinder from a Celica. As well as cables/linkges, gearstick cradle.

Would be approach be to get a zzt231front half cut? And use all the bits from there?
Posted Image

#24 2many2s

2many2s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Have a list of parts needed in the 4th post in this thread. You have to source a UK or Jap clutch pedal and master cylinder, cables and get clutch lines fabed by pirtek or similar.

#25 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Yeah true. I did read it but forgot it was there.
Posted Image

#26 seasalt

seasalt

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

You will need a 2zz and gearbox ( better out of celica as the shifters are on the right side)
Reverse block out
Selector shaft

Meaning isn't clear here, but the selector mechanism on the Celica is on the wrong side of the gearbox for an MR2 Spyder, hence the need for the selector shaft, to swap sides.

The Celica ECU pinout matches the Spyder 1ZZ ECU pinout more closely than a Corolla 2ZZ ECU. In Australia our 2ZZ Celicas use the C60 gearbox with .725 to 1 6th gear. Our Corolla Sportivo uses a C64 with .815 6th gear. They don't have LSD (or was it an option?) but the LSD out of a 5 or 6 speed SMT box fits. Unfortunately, to do so, you have to split the box. If you do it may be advisable to renew synchros on third and fourth as they appear to be the weak spot.

I have a ZZW30 with a Corolla Sportivo 2ZZ and C64, but had the box split, LSD and 3.412 diff installed ("Pinion" cog part of mainshaft, so donor 6 speed needed to change that.) I also fitted .725 6th gears.

About to replace the Corolla engine and box with a Celica engine and box that have a mere 9000km up, so there are still people doing this. Manual conversion parts are obtainable via FaceBook groups and if you are at all good with tools, can be self done. Wiring harness was the main obstacle for me. Different to USA harness, so did not use MWR adapter harness. Had one made up using mainly 1ZZ harness with added connections for the "Lift" mechanism taken from 2ZZ harness, and a few other pins shifted on ECU plug.

PowerFC cost as much as my first motor, but really filled in the mid range torque and made the car even more driveable.

Edited by seasalt, 11 April 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#27 JB.

JB.

Forum Member

• WA Moderator
  • 529 posts
  • Interests:Things and stuff...and things

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

:lol: Another 3 year old thread revival! 

Ride Thread

Formerly: Jaybo

#28 chris91

chris91

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Cars, chicks, study
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

I am in the middle of doing this swap.

Got. C60 + celica engine. Going to open the engine and replace valves and springs.

Only part that I need left is the clutxh pedal assembly. The cables to the gearbox mainly. Anyone know where to buy it in australia?

Also, Can I use the c60 clutch master cylinder from the celica?
VVTL-I all the way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users