moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

hey guys, ive been struggling to decide on which brand cold air intake to buy. i have to choose either injen, AEM or ebay with a k&n pod.

What i want is to get a very nice, loud induction sound, while not having any bogging issues or Check engine light.

do any of you run any of these? what are your opinions on them? what CAI gives the loudest induction noise?

AEM CAI
http://m.ebay.com/it...8389?nav=SEARCH

injen CAI
http://m.ebay.com/itm/310956552392

ebay CAI
http://m.ebay.com/it...4848?nav=SEARCH

Thanks

#2 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

I know a few guys that run AEM and swear by them.

#3 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Run stock air box and get just as much power as the rest and spend the money on a few oil changes or other general maintenance  

#4 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Celica, more Celica, even more Celica.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Cai definitely gives you a cool sound, whether it gives you power our not I say it's worth it. Look and see which one has the closest to factory maf location, maybe watch some YouTube sound clips. I'd go name brand over eBay but in the end its your choice. If it helps, the name injen sounds the coolest so maybe it's got the best sound haha.

#5 anhphuongvu

anhphuongvu

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

i've used all 3 kind you put up

ebay one is the worst one there

either injen or AEM would be best

both will give similar sound, and its much louder than stock

#6 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

im thinking AEM because i wont have to cut the ECU cooling tube, and it looks better in the engine bay :D

anyone know where i can buy one without the damn expensive shipping prices?

thanks

#7 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

It's not impossible to gain any, coupled with bigger injectors and a good tune, a cai is a great choice.

I agree $250 is a bit pricey for a filter and a tube, the alternative I had was much better. I got one of those universal extending pipe hoses that bends, 3", and a maf mount, and a k&n filter. Then had to tune bc it had to much air flow.

But now I just have a k&n strapped on the side of my turbo so maybe I'm not the best to ask about reasonable cost :P

#8 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Agreed with a tune and supporting mods you may see more power but thats atleast $1500 before a power gain. I don't know The argument for pod filters has gone on for centuries and will likely continue for centuries to come. Its obvious where I stand its just difficult to justify such a price tag. I do see the purposes of a pod filter I used to want one.

I'd love for someone to myth bust the use of accompanying mods and a tune with CAI to see how much power it does actually gain. 

#9 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

I think at the point where you start to gain real power, the filter will be one of the supporting mods haha.

If you can find a cheap one I say go for it, it looks and sounds cool, but I think I agree at the price tag being to high. Unless you have loads of money.

#10 NoOg_sTaR

NoOg_sTaR

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 626 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

I just looked at the price. If you spend ~$250 on nothing but sound you are clinically insane. I guarantee you if you buy one you'll be immediately filled with post-purchase dissonance. 

Get what you want but honestly thats ALOT of money for literally nothing but sound and maybe less power, because its impossible to gain any.

A lot* 

http://hyperboleanda...everything.html

CAI does give minor gains. But the main reasoning for CAI is the noise it makes with the 2ZZ on lift. I still miss the days of N/A 2ZZ screaming at high revs. It's quite a pleasant sound. If you think $250 is too much money and think people are insane. You should probably end your life now. You are also the muppet that was asking how to beat a BRZ. Did you know your Aeroflex wipers also cost more than stock and give you F*** all gains? Oh wait. They give you no gains. My bad. At least a CAI gives you a great sound. Your LEDMod dash overlay also gives you no gains. Are you clinically insane bro? 

OP I would personally go AEM 100% plug and play. But if budget is tight, a few guys have run the eBay version will little consequences. Just replace the filter. 

Edited by NoOg_sTaR, 07 July 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#11 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

thanks noog, i bought an AEM dryflow filter with ebay piping, yet to install it. ill update this thread when I do.
  • NoOg_sTaR likes this

#12 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

A lot* 

http://hyperboleanda...everything.html

CAI does give minor gains. But the main reasoning for CAI is the noise it makes with the 2ZZ on lift. I still miss the days of N/A 2ZZ screaming at high revs. It's quite a pleasant sound. If you think $250 is too much money and think people are insane. You should probably end your life now. You are also the muppet that was asking how to beat a BRZ. Did you know your Aeroflex wipers also cost more than stock and give you F*** all gains? Oh wait. They give you no gains. My bad. At least a CAI gives you a great sound. Your LEDMod dash overlay also gives you no gains. Are you clinically insane bro? 

PM'd

Glad to hear you got what you want man. Keen to see a build thread when you get the time to make one. Sorry for being an ass with my warped opinions 

#13 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

What you talkin bout foo. Aeroflex says it all. Full aero dynamics bro. Lift kicks in harder :P

Noog, I guess you'd agree like the rest and say aftermarket intakes (non cai) are useless and that cai is the way to go?

Edited by ZRB, 08 July 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#14 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

Yeah. Let us know how it sounds! I loved the sound of mine before the turbo.

#15 NoOg_sTaR

NoOg_sTaR

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

What you talkin bout foo. Aeroflex says it all. Full aero dynamics bro. Lift kicks in harder :P

Noog, I guess you'd agree like the rest and say aftermarket intakes (non cai) are useless and that cai is the way to go?

With the prices of these going down nowadays you might as well go CAI over the rest of the options. Back when I got my AEM CAI I believe it was $550+ but this was almost 8 years ago (F*** I have been around for too long). SRI still has it's arguments in regards to response, but the fact CAI didn't really effect the 2ZZ that much in regards to response it is probably the better option. 

Just be cautious when driving over puddles, clutch in and 0 throttle. 

#16 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

Cai over Sri. I had both and the Sri gets power loss once it's heat soaked. I put my filter right behind my fog lights and never felt that power loss again. Didn't bog much either even in a 1zz.

#17 Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

With the prices of these going down nowadays you might as well go CAI over the rest of the options. Back when I got my AEM CAI I believe it was $550+ but this was almost 8 years ago (F*** I have been around for too long). SRI still has it's arguments in regards to response, but the fact CAI didn't really effect the 2ZZ that much in regards to response it is probably the better option. 

Just be cautious when driving over puddles, clutch in and 0 throttle. 

People are way too paranoid about low-mounted pod filter/CAIs and puddles.  You basically need to fully immerse the filter in water before it'll be a problem (something that doesn't happen at speed driving through 10cm-deep puddles (especially since the bumper acts as a prow and you should have some kind of splash guard down there too).

I've been running a bumper-mounted pod filter for years in the Corolla (even with the splash-guard bent open a bit to act as a home-made scoop) and never once has standing water been a problem - this includes driving back from Brisbane in 2011 through near-floodwater around Coffs Harbour.

sig_pic_zpsfa6edc07.jpg

ST162 - Charlie the pie-eater: Carted away on the back of a flat-bed...
JZZ30 - Lexi: Now an organ donor.
AE102 - Charlene: Reborn
AE82 - Rosie: 70.8kw, definitely not carving corners. Decidedly cube-shaped

#18 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Eh it can't hurt to be cautious. Yes you'd have to practically submerge it, id know, but good practice never hurt anyone.

I bought a bypass filter and it saved me once, I had to drive through some water when the road was flooded and half way up the cai pipe was wet. The filter opened up and acted as a short ram.

#19 NoOg_sTaR

NoOg_sTaR

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

People are way too paranoid about low-mounted pod filter/CAIs and puddles.  You basically need to fully immerse the filter in water before it'll be a problem (something that doesn't happen at speed driving through 10cm-deep puddles (especially since the bumper acts as a prow and you should have some kind of splash guard down there too).

I've been running a bumper-mounted pod filter for years in the Corolla (even with the splash-guard bent open a bit to act as a home-made scoop) and never once has standing water been a problem - this includes driving back from Brisbane in 2011 through near-floodwater around Coffs Harbour.

Yeah. I hydro locked my 2ZZ before driving over standing water due to a blocked drain. Luckily I shut it down quick enough. Pipe had water in it, coil packs/spark plugs out and crank. Plenty of water sprayed out.

It's hard. But not impossible. 

Edited by NoOg_sTaR, 25 July 2014 - 01:09 AM.

#20 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

I bought a cheap ebay SRI with an AEM dryflow filter. Will I be able to fit it with all the items supplied?

63vty8.jpg

mbpg95.jpg

2s6ov1v.jpg

335bfv4.jpg

Thanks.

#21 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Does anyone know? cheers.

#22 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

I dont see why not. Just try it, thats half the fun.

#23 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

I ended up buying an AEM gen 2 CAI and ive installed it with no issues at all, no CEL.

the only problem is that water flicks through the fender liner through those holes and the filter gets wet (well the hydro shield gets wet).

how should i block off the holes? use a rag or what?

#24 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Buy yourself some crafting plastic and zip tie it in.

Edit: Id also invest on a bypass filter, put it after the maf if possible, just as a failsafe for hydrolock.

Edited by Dezrook, 24 August 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#25 NoOg_sTaR

NoOg_sTaR

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

Just use "race tape" aka cloth tape. Tape it and fill it from the inside. I did that to mine and it worked fine. 

Don't bother with a bypass filter imo. 

#26 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

Noog depends on how he drives, I recommend them because $20 is cheaper than a new engine if you absolutely have to drive in really really bad weather. It saved my car once when it flooded while I was at work.

#27 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

i now drive like a grandma in rain and pop it into neutral when I have to go over a puddle.

The only source of water on the filter is through the fender liner holes which i will cover up very soon.

i dont think i will need a bypass valve. 

#28 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:16 AM

Eh you never know. That area isn't 100% waterproof, and I only really needed it once, if you already take precautions you will be fine.

#29 Cuts

Cuts

ST205 FTW

• Admin
  • 5,968 posts
  • Interests:Things
    Stuff
    Other
  • STATE:TAS

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:25 PM

Enough of the personal attacks guys.

This CAI getting water in the engine I'm very skeptical about. Unless its fully dunked in a puddle with a  stream of water pointing straight into the engine I doubt it will cause an issue. I've never had an issue with my headlight intake. Also the engine is going to draw in the thing with least resistance, and that's air.

• MattsZR_126 likes this

ST205 Group A Rallye, #61 of 77......350kw atw @ 23 psi on E85. http://www.ozcelica....up-a-rallye-61/
GRX133 Mark X 350s http://www.ozcelica....cuts-new-daily/

#30 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

Good outlook. Although I must ask, did the 205 suffer from rubber intake hose collapse under high boost conditions? or did you change to the metal pipe when you got the headlight intake? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users