ST205 FTW

• Admin
  • 5,968 posts
  • Interests:Things
    Stuff
    Other
  • STATE:TAS

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

I changed to a metal intake pipe probably 12 months after I got the car. The headlight intake was a few years after that (so about 4-5 years ago now)

ST205 Group A Rallye, #61 of 77......350kw atw @ 23 psi on E85. http://www.ozcelica....up-a-rallye-61/
GRX133 Mark X 350s http://www.ozcelica....cuts-new-daily/

#32 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

I guess we'll never know haha

#33 Cuts

Cuts

ST205 FTW

• Admin
  • 5,968 posts
  • Interests:Things
    Stuff
    Other
  • STATE:TAS

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:37 AM

Nope. I dare say though that a turbo with a slightly smaller than 3" intake will most probably not support over 300kw at all 4. So therefore the chances of that being tested is basically 0

ST205 Group A Rallye, #61 of 77......350kw atw @ 23 psi on E85. http://www.ozcelica....up-a-rallye-61/
GRX133 Mark X 350s http://www.ozcelica....cuts-new-daily/

#34 road and track

road and track

VENDOR: Road & Track (QLD)

• APPROVED VENDOR
  • 1,773 posts
  • Interests:car racing
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

on an otherwise un-modifed engine, i've never seen any of these make any measurable power change on the dyno. many actually make driving it worse,  by introducing flat spots due to the altered location of the MAF sensor. the factory intake system is unbelievably fine tuned and whilst it looks like crap, it really works very well.

• MattsZR_126 likes this

Road and Track

Terry
0417-687161

whilst  I'm happy to deal with email , phone text and internet forum queries, for rapid or complex answers, please use the telephone and speak to me. if perchance the phone is busy, or does not answer, i may be with another customer or under a car on a hoist. Please leave a message. thanks

#35 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

on an otherwise un-modifed engine, i've never seen any of these make any measurable power change on the dyno. many actually make driving it worse,  by introducing flat spots due to the altered location of the MAF sensor. the factory intake system is unbelievably fine tuned and whilst it looks like crap, it really works very well.

You sir have just justified my points and my disgust for them haha. So much this. But each to their own and do whatever you want to your car :)

#36 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:31 PM

Honestly, I have gained great mid range torque and a noticeable KW gain up top with my AEM CAI. I took it out for a week and it wasn't nice at all.. The car is a lot more 'fun' to drive with it in.

Even my friend noticed that it felt different with it out.

It used to bog a bit amount at low rpm takeoffs but the lightened flywheel has evened it out nicely.

The stock airbox is amazing, but the CAI was definitely worth $300 tbh.

Once you put the AEM in you'll never go back.

Clean the MAF, Properly install it, disconnect the battery while you put it in and the ECU will adjust and it wont throw codes.

#37 st182er

st182er

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

The stock airbox is amazing, but the CAI was definitely worth $300 tbh.

jiFfM.jpg

• MattsZR_126 likes this

sig_zpsmro1wsns.png

#38 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

its true, the CAI is worth it but the stock airbox is fine if you dont want to risk getting defected

#39 road and track

road and track

VENDOR: Road & Track (QLD)

• APPROVED VENDOR
  • 1,773 posts
  • Interests:car racing

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

please post up before and after dyno plots 

the reason they all bog down a bit may be nothing to do with the air intake. the cam timing (+ other design features) conspire to create very limited torque under about 4000rpm. if you get a bit lazy on take off, that can happen all the time. in fact, the auto models are generally quicker because of this as you can much more easily keep them on the boil

if you are happy, thats great, but many owners are not and i've taken some CAI's out and reverted back to factory, with very happy owners

anyone out there got a complete air box for a 7th gen they want to sell me???????

• MattsZR_126 likes this

Road and Track

Terry
0417-687161

whilst  I'm happy to deal with email , phone text and internet forum queries, for rapid or complex answers, please use the telephone and speak to me. if perchance the phone is busy, or does not answer, i may be with another customer or under a car on a hoist. Please leave a message. thanks

#40 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Celica, more Celica, even more Celica.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

You can have mine if you wanna pay for us shipping haha. I've kept all my original parts, airbox, wheels, headlights, everything including trim haha.

Before the turbo I ran a "custom" cai, I was always happy, after a tune. Stock maf distance and I could easily re route the pipe to make it a short ram, but i felt powerless when the bay was hot so I kept it cai.

Too poor to afford a dyno, and too lazy to drive 3 hours to the nearest one.

#41 mashed_spud

mashed_spud

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

i know this is an old topic but i was just thinking that could you buy the ebay intake and just use the piping? surely the piping is all the same its just the quality of the filter? i work at super cheap auto so i can get a genuine k&n air filter for $25 and i could just put that on the cheap ebay piping. would this give good results or since its ebay piping nah??

#42 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

i know this is an old topic but i was just thinking that could you buy the ebay intake and just use the piping? surely the piping is all the same its just the quality of the filter? i work at super cheap auto so i can get a genuine k&n air filter for $25 and i could just put that on the cheap ebay piping. would this give good results or since its ebay piping nah??

Depends if you trust the welds and bends, most should be fine, but some may be cheap and nasty. Big name intakes would at least have some R&D though, doubt they would just whack together some pipes.

2009 370Z (close enough to a 7th gen :P)

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users