#1 arjungarg96

arjungarg96

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

Hey guys! Does anyone have tips on how to replace the rear engine mount on a st184. From what I found, the cross member is required to be removed before the mount can be accessed, is that true? or is there another way to change it?

#2 ausjd2703

ausjd2703

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

should be the same as a st185, ill look at my 184 if I remember but should go like:

lift engine with crane so mounts arnt loaded.

un bolt cross member, believe you need to take the east west cross member out too, there large bolts so you need a 1/2 breaker bar.

undo mounts from engine, swap and then reverse the order to install.

the east west mounts are the main ones supporting the load so you have to make sure the crane has the load for them. but their simpler as you can just unbolt them and remove them.

it shouldn't be hard. just need an engine crane and jack stands

ADM ST185 running Gen 3 3SGTE with GTX2867, Haltech PS1000, Racepak dash, Wilwood 330mm four piston fronts. work CR Kais 17-8. full 3" exhaust. FMIC.

#3 TRD-021

TRD-021

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

No need for engine crane, I did this a few months ago. Use the east and west mount to act as a pivot point.

Support car on jack stands
Remove east west cross member
Mark the front engine mount bolt and remove bolt. Loosen the bolts on the north and South cross member. This will give you better access/movement.
Remove plastic cover and remove bolts on the rear mount. You might need to loosen more on the south side of the cross member to get the rear mount out.
Installation is the reverse. But you want to insert the the long bolt first through the rear mount and then use the two small bolts to bring in the mount to the cross member.
Just make sure you torque the bolts evenly and ensure that the bolts of the north and South cross member seat properly before the bolting it up.

Edited by TRD-021, 14 August 2014 - 01:42 PM.

• TRD-021 likes this
GT-Four Group A Rallye, Carlos Sainz Edition # 21 out of 150.
Gen 4 ST215 engine conversion, FMIC, Hatech Elite 1500, Forged CP pistons, ST205 rear calipers, front ST205 yet to install.

#4 arjungarg96

arjungarg96

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

No need for engine crane, I did this a few months ago. Use the east and west mount to act as a pivot point.

Support car on jack stands
Remove east west cross member
Mark the front engine mount bolt and remove bolt. Loosen the bolts on the north and South cross member. This will give you better access/movement.
Remove plastic cover and remove bolts on the rear mount. You might need to loosen more on the south side of the cross member to get the rear mount out.
Installation is the reverse. But you want to insert the the long bolt first through the rear mount and then use the two small bolts to bring in the mount to the cross member.
Just make sure you torque the bolts evenly and ensure that the bolts of the north and South cross member seat properly before the bolting it up.

should be the same as a st185, ill look at my 184 if I remember but should go like:

lift engine with crane so mounts arnt loaded.

un bolt cross member, believe you need to take the east west cross member out too, there large bolts so you need a 1/2 breaker bar.

undo mounts from engine, swap and then reverse the order to install.

the east west mounts are the main ones supporting the load so you have to make sure the crane has the load for them. but their simpler as you can just unbolt them and remove them.

it shouldn't be hard. just need an engine crane and jack stands

Cheers guys! I sorta have an idea on what to do, but undoing the cross member is a bitch, i cant get even one of the cross member bolts to loosen up, tried using a breaker bar and ended up with a broken socket extension :(

#5 arjungarg96

arjungarg96

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

Might just take it to the mechanics tomorrow and get it done there :/ really dont wanna pay that much for such an easy job though.

#6 TD.

TD.

OZCelica Junkie

• NSW & ACT Moderator
  • 1,988 posts
  • Interests:Above Us Only Sky.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Yeh take it somewhere and get it done right.

While the job is straight forward and not complicated at all, the access to proper tools is what allows you to get the job done correctly and without breaking anything.

Also, thanks heaps for all the replies. I'm fast learning that this may be the friendliest forum on the internet.

/ragequit_life

#7 arjungarg96

arjungarg96

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

Yeh take it somewhere and get it done right.

While the job is straight forward and not complicated at all, the access to proper tools is what allows you to get the job done correctly and without breaking anything.

Got it done at the mechanics, the guy only charged me $50 and i can say it was definitely worth it! celi feels sooo smooth now!

#8 TRD-021

TRD-021

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

I know the feeling :)
GT-Four Group A Rallye, Carlos Sainz Edition # 21 out of 150.
Gen 4 ST215 engine conversion, FMIC, Hatech Elite 1500, Forged CP pistons, ST205 rear calipers, front ST205 yet to install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users