Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

Good evening all,

Have you ever had one of those moments where you swear you would never do something again?  I'm living it now!!

My name is Greg and I live just outside Brisbane.  I am the former owner of an 89 camry with a 3sgte engine.  As with all things life got in the way and I decided to move on.  I was never going modify a car again - until I came across my new baby - a 1990 Gun metal grey Australian widebody Celica GT4.

I had been looking on and off for over 18 months for 185 in decent condition.  A straight body and paint was a must - I wasn't so worried about the engine as I had a ready made drop in already.  I ended up buying mine from an apprentice mechanic who couldn't afford to keep it on the road.  Its funny how things turn out.

Once I bought the car I made the decision I was going all in on this one.  So the car is currently sitting in my mechanics workshop at Zillmere getting the full treatment.  I've clearly lost my mind as I'm already in the process of the following

- rebuild the engine and all associated hardware for a goal power of 400 - 450 whp.

- New precision power turbo to match

- Custom exhaust manifold and dump pipe and full 3 inch stainless steel exhaust and muffler

- A set of Gold Rays Gram lights rims

- New clutch to handle the uprated power output.

The dream is to have a nice understated cruiser but also something that can do a bit of track work and have some fun down the drag strip as well :-)

Hopefully will be able to catch up with a few of you around the traps in the future.

Cheers

Greg

Attached Files

• Champ likes this

#2 trentmeyer23

trentmeyer23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

I swear that was the fastest approval I have seen. Good to see you here man. This thing will be a monster.

My 5S-GTE Build:

Click Here

trentmeyer23siggreen_zpsaf02b3dd.jpg

#3 Joshua

Joshua

Forum Member

• Queensland Moderator
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Are they VW wheels? Interesting :P

Anyway, welcome to the club :) Looks like a very nice, tidy base and some awesome targets.

Make sure you join the Brisbane Celica Club Cruising group on Facebook because we would love for you to come along to some events when its back on the road! :)

Posted Image

1997 ST204 Celica ZR - Silver :) -----> See it here on OzCelica http://www.ozcelica....huas-97-zr-6gc/

#4 rentaspace

rentaspace

OZCelica Junkie

• NSW & ACT Moderator
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Cars, Gaming & Computers
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

mmmm I wanna see this when I am next in QLD ;)

35653535272_e86c0d1160_m.jpg
White '02 Caldina GT4 N-Edition

Progression thread:
http://www.ozcelica....e-5#entry304774

#5 st182er

st182er

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

welcome to ozcelica. yay more brissies

sig_zpsmro1wsns.png

#6 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the welcome all. Will keep you updated with the progress!

#7 Cuts

Cuts

ST205 FTW

• Admin
  • 5,968 posts
  • Interests:Things
    Stuff
    Other
  • STATE:TAS

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Welcome mate, good little mod list you have planned.

Clutch I suggest NPC

What are you planning to do for the ecu?

ST205 Group A Rallye, #61 of 77......350kw atw @ 23 psi on E85. http://www.ozcelica....up-a-rallye-61/
GRX133 Mark X 350s http://www.ozcelica....cuts-new-daily/

#8 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

Hi all,

Well its been a long time coming, and not without its share of frustrations and setbacks, the Gt4 is finally up and running!  I may never modify another car after this, but I have said that before as well......

Here is a somewhat crappy phone video of her on the dyno for the run in tune today :-)

https://youtu.be/1DCVqlH7UP8

I haven't got a dyno sheet yet, but so far the results are 270HP at 12 psi on the run in tune.  Will be exciting to see what she can do when the full tune is done!

Have gone with a HKS Fcon Pro ECU and precision 5858 turbo.  Will furnish more details when they come to hand.

I'll try and post some pictures I have of the engine bay and link them to this thread as well.

All going well should be picking the car up next weekend.  Quite excited!!

Hopefully will actually be able to catch up with some of you all soon.

Cheers

Greg

IMAG5069.jpg

Edited by Greg81, 22 April 2015 - 07:11 PM.

#9 trentmeyer23

trentmeyer23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:28 PM

Bring on 400whp!!!

• Greg81 likes this

My 5S-GTE Build:

Click Here

#10 st182er

st182er

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

wow very beautiful, Are you thinking of heat wrapping the piping that is close to the exhaust manifold. It'll be a waste of the intercoolers job of cooling the air and then having it warmed up again by the heat.

Very tidy, except the poorly Toyota design throttle cable hahaha

Keep up the progress. keen to see what kind of power this beast makes. Where in brissie are you from. north, south, east, west?

sig_zpsmro1wsns.png

#11 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:27 PM

Thanks st182er.  I hadn't thought of that but heat wrapping it will be a good idea!

I'm based out at Victoria point - a bit of a hike but I like the drive - moreso now!  And yes that throttle cable position is a letdown...lol.

My power goal was around 400 - 450 HP at the wheels when i started - hopefully it will hit somewhere in that range.

#12 st182er

st182er

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:47 PM

vic point is a beautiful place. maybe we can cruise to you ahaahha

sig_zpsmro1wsns.png

#13 Cuts

Cuts

ST205 FTW

• Admin
  • 5,968 posts
    Stuff
    Other

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

What other engine mods are done? 300kw atw on pump fuel is pretty achieveable with decent bolt ons on a mild engine.

ST205 Group A Rallye, #61 of 77......350kw atw @ 23 psi on E85. http://www.ozcelica....up-a-rallye-61/

#14 trentmeyer23

trentmeyer23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:55 PM

What other engine mods are done?

The list is very long...

Edited by trentmeyer23, 23 April 2015 - 10:55 PM.

My 5S-GTE Build:

Click Here

#15 Cuts

Cuts

ST205 FTW

• Admin
  • 5,968 posts
    Stuff
    Other

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:35 AM

The list is very long...

I believe the forum can handle it.

• Mean_185 likes this

#16 trentmeyer23

trentmeyer23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

I believe the forum can handle it.

You might want to back that sh*t up... :P

My 5S-GTE Build:

Click Here

#17 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:15 PM

Hi Cuts,

The engine is actually an st165 3sgte.  I had it in my camry and used it because the one in the celica wasn't that great.  I have since learned a great many things - like using the 185 engine would have been easier for mods.  But such is life.

The engine has new pistons, rings, conrod, HKS Metal head gasket, ARP head stud and main stud kit, ACL race bearings, bottom end machined and balanced, new heavy duty clutch, new intank fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator.  There is probably more but it escapes me at the moment.  As I said it has a HKS Fcon pro ECU and turbo timer as well.  I have also had a new stainless 3 inch exhaust system fitted with a HKS silent Hi power  cat back exhaust.  

The turbo is a precision 5858 unit with an A/R .64.  

I would be stoked if it did 300 kw at the wheels.  I still want it to be reliable as it will be driven quite regularly so hopefully I can achieve that.  But it will be what it will be.

Cheers

#18 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

Well after not being able to drive the car due to fuse issues for a while, I thought I would spend a little time on her today.  As it turned out I ended up stripping the entire interior and cleaning it all out for the purposes of putting in dynamat during the week.

I also found some moisture under the rear seat which I suspect is the issue I was having with a lot of condensation building up in the car.  All the seals look new now around the windows but this looked like it had been there for some time.  No real rust though which was great.  Just some surface bits and pieces that were easily fixed.

Have an auto electrician coming around on Tuesday to hopefully identify (and fix!) the issue with the fuse box so in the time being will just be plodding along with everything else that needs to be done.  The list never seems to end...

Celica%20stripped%20interior.jpg[/URL]

#19 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

Its always important to wear the right shoes :-)

20150511_165244.jpg

#20 st182er

st182er

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

Cant go wrong with gunmetal grey and gold :)

Just notice the rear bumper trimming. whats going on there?

18526_10153896138098636_7885360037063347

sig_zpsmro1wsns.png

#21 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

No idea mate.  Just noticed it now you have mentioned it!

#22 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:43 PM

Well probably worth another updated now.

After getting the car back in April, I had some auto electrical issues that caused a fuse to melt (as some of you would know).  That turned out to be the new in tank fuel pump not being wired correctly which has since been corrected.  However after it was corrected the car needed to be tuned again as it was running lean and then the tuner was on holidays for a month.....

A long, twisting and pot holed road later, the GT4 is back in my garage to finally get going with the run in tune.  Not without issues still though - now for some reason I have no power to the stereo and the clock doesn't work... does it ever end???

On a more positive note - while the car was away I put in all new polyurethane bushes - everywhere.  While that was done I also installed a set of BC Racing Coilovers.  And I have to say the result is unbelievable.  The ride is actually remarkably smooth and the steering response is fantastic - couldn't be happier!  Now just need to get the rest of the car to that level.

Good things come to those who wait apparently.....

#23 Cuts

Cuts

ST205 FTW

• Admin
  • 5,968 posts
    Stuff
    Other

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:13 PM

good news, 

#24 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:41 PM

An updated pic of the GT4 - a little lower :-)

garage%20pic.jpg

#25 st182er

st182er

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:42 PM

awesome news man! great work on the coilovers, what spring rate did you go with? I have 12kg springs front and rear and they feel a little too soft (maybe because I was use to having 12kg on my 184 which was considerably lighter. but that is with the damper settings set all the way to soft. so my soft might be someones "really hard"

Wheels are really growing on me but they need more offset on the rears!

keep up the work and hopefully get the electricals sorted

sig_zpsmro1wsns.png

#26 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

Spring rates in the coils are 8kg in the front and 4kg in the rear.  The ride is actually nicer than with the spring and shocks.  The hardness is set somewhere in the middle of the 30 adjustment settings.

I agree with the offset in the rear but I don't want to use spaces so it will have to do for the moment.

Currently the car won't start due to some electrical problem, which also maybe an issue with an old immobiliser.  This car is here to test me it would seem....

Cheers

#27 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

Well after what seem like an eternity the car is finally running.  It went on the dyno today at hit 240kw at a four wheels at 22psi with max torque of 411 Nm.  I will upload the dyno sheet when I get a chance.

Initially I was a little disappointed with the result.  But I did ask for low end responsiveness and the dyno chart suggest very good response from around 3000 to 5000 rpm.  Power tops out at around 6000 rpm.  I am still running stock 165 cams and head which would be holding everything back a little and the turbo was setup to get better low end as well.

So my current position is - 240 kw is a fairly good power figure for a mostly daily driven Gt4  :-)  I'll probably look at getting cams sorted at some stage but for the moment it will be good just to drive some boosted goodness.

#28 silycr

silycr

OZCelica Junkie

• Queensland Moderator
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:18 PM

Nice work. Scan the dyno sheet?   Low end is where these lack anyway... as much as you'd expect for a 4cyl

#29 Greg81

Greg81

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:30 PM

Dyno.jpg

#30 TRD-021

TRD-021

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 623 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:28 PM

Nice work
GT-Four Group A Rallye, Carlos Sainz Edition # 21 out of 150.
Gen 4 ST215 engine conversion, FMIC, Hatech Elite 1500, Forged CP pistons, ST205 rear calipers, front ST205 yet to install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users