Vettori

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but has anyone had any luck with OBD2 on AU 7th Gen Celicas?

The guys over at newcelica seem to think the AU Celica's are not compatible with OBD2. As I have not picked mine up yet I have not had a chance to play around, but In the event it is not compatible I have noticed the Tsport from the UK is compatible and would consider importing one of their ECUs and harness.

Would anyone see anything wrong with this or is there anything I should be aware of/keep in mind?

#2 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

Pretty sure all 7th gens are OBD2, I've used generic scan tools, and the Toyota Techstream cable on my 2002 and it's been fine.

2009 370Z (close enough to a 7th gen :P)

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#3 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

Unfortunately I haven't been able to connect to many of the scan tools (OBD2 ELM327 units). I wanted to output info on TorquePro

#4 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

I tried a Bluetooth obd2 reader. No luck to torque pro app on my phone.

#5 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

I hate how there is so much cool technology these days that we miss out with certain toyota models (my caldina was the same thing, couldn't pick it up). someone did have a protocol available which showed you how to get an elm327 unit working but I need to find the link

#6 stupidfoo2327

stupidfoo2327

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Anime (DBZ, Bleach, Afro Samurai, anything really), basketball, Cars (Jap mod cars), gaming, mexican food!
  • STATE:WA

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

Yer OBD2 generic scan tools are unlikely to work. but the Toyota TIS techstream cable and software works well - Ive been using that recently to diagnose and test for faults.

#7 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

Yer OBD2 generic scan tools are unlikely to work. but the Toyota TIS techstream cable and software works well - Ive been using that recently to diagnose and test for faults.

After reading that I put an order for a TIS Techstream cable. I was wondering if you figured out a neat way to route the obd2 cable and be able to drive at the same time? 

Was wondering what the software is like to use, can you get any graphs coming up or is it just data.

I might see if I can get an OBD2 extension cable, so I can have the actual plug near the glovebox for easy mounting.

#8 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

After reading that I put an order for a TIS Techstream cable. I was wondering if you figured out a neat way to route the obd2 cable and be able to drive at the same time? 

Was wondering what the software is like to use, can you get any graphs coming up or is it just data.

I might see if I can get an OBD2 extension cable, so I can have the actual plug near the glovebox for easy mounting.

Problem is, you'll need a computer of some sort in the car while it's running, so unless you want a laptop sitting on the seat constantly, you'll need to build some small form factor computer and hide it in the glove box or something.

In terms of usage, I haven't done much beyond scanning and seeing an o2 sensor code, and viewing the live data to see if the new sensor was working, all I got was raw numbers and things, don't think you can get graphs via the software, but I haven't played around with it much.

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#9 stupidfoo2327

stupidfoo2327

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Anime (DBZ, Bleach, Afro Samurai, anything really), basketball, Cars (Jap mod cars), gaming, mexican food!

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:33 PM

yer i just drove with the cable across my legs haha not the safest option. extension cable is a good idea (Id probably use a USB extension cable since they are cheap and easy to come across). and i just had the laptop on the passenger seat to record the data, but with the new laptop/tablets you could plug it in and leave it in the glove box when you drive, particularly if you use an extension cable.

and no graphs on mine, it says that there is a graph function but it doesnt seem to work. raw data only. but the program has different tests in there to check the system. I used it specifically for idle as I was having some troubles at the time with my idle.

#10 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

how did you set up tis techstream? i have the cable but dont know how to set it up right?

#11 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

I am curious how hard it would be to remove the obd2 plug from the actual trim (so I can run the plug behind the trim so its neater)

#12 stupidfoo2327

stupidfoo2327

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

how did you set up tis techstream? i have the cable but dont know how to set it up right?

I followed the set up on this web page. Dont use the software that comes with the cable, use the software thats discussed in the below link. If you have already tried installing the software, then make sure its uninstalled and completely removed from your computer. You will need to do a registry hack, which I did manually, but I believe the 'mvci-x64.reg' file they talk about in this link will do it for you if you follow the instructions. alternatively, if you still have a 32 bit operating system, or run a virtual PC that is 32bit then you dont have to do the hack.

http://www.ft86club....ead.php?t=73034

I am curious how hard it would be to remove the obd2 plug from the actual trim (so I can run the plug behind the trim so its neater)

Probably wouldnt be too hard, weekend project maybe?? haha

#13 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:44 PM

I followed the set up on this web page. Dont use the software that comes with the cable, use the software thats discussed in the below link. If you have already tried installing the software, then make sure its uninstalled and completely removed from your computer. You will need to do a registry hack, which I did manually, but I believe the 'mvci-x64.reg' file they talk about in this link will do it for you if you follow the instructions. alternatively, if you still have a 32 bit operating system, or run a virtual PC that is 32bit then you dont have to do the hack.

http://www.ft86club....ead.php?t=73034

If you want to make the "registry hack" part easier (step 3), copy and paste all of that into Notepad, and make sure "PassThruSu pport.04.04" doesn't have that space between the u and p (for all lines that have that text). Then when you go to save as, type in "x.reg" where x can be whatever you want, just make sure to include the " ". Then you'll get a .reg file you can double click for that step.

I've got Techstream version 10 instead of the 8 mentioned in the link, but it's basically the same for all versions.

Edit - Forgot to mention that the file included already has all that, you can just edit that, and make sure it doesn't have the space, and then save that. Otherwise it doesn't work properly.

Edited by ChocSoldier, 31 July 2015 - 11:54 PM.

• stupidfoo2327 likes this

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#14 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:27 AM

I struggled to install the drivers for the unit. Didn't help the cd that came with the unit had a big chip out of it lmao

Mind you I am installing on a Windows 7 32 Bit OS so it should be ok. When I tried installing the drivers it came up saying unable to run "disk1.cab" or somethin similar.

#15 stupidfoo2327

stupidfoo2327

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

I struggled to install the drivers for the unit. Didn't help the cd that came with the unit had a big chip out of it lmao

Mind you I am installing on a Windows 7 32 Bit OS so it should be ok. When I tried installing the drivers it came up saying unable to run "disk1.cab" or somethin similar.

was that using the software that was linked in the website i listed? or different software?

#16 Vettori

Vettori

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:01 AM

Found this over on MR2 Board, some guy got OBD2 working on his 2jz

Just going to copy paste the interesting part, but the full thread can be found here http://www.mr2.com/f...BD2-on-jdm-ecu!

Step 1: go out and buy an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter. In this case, the one I purchased was this one from Amazon the Bafx PIC18F2480 - http://www.amazon.co...=obd2 bluetooth

Step 2: Purchase the 5$ app "Torque Pro" from the google play market for Android. (For you apple guys, the App Store does not have this exact app on there so I am unsure if any of the steps after this are valid) Any android powered tablet or phone should work here.

Step 3: Inside of the app you can create car profiles for different vehicles (This app is incredible and is by far the most useful thing I've ever bought as an app because this app and the adapter can be used on ANY obd2 car) In the vehicle profile at the bottom of the profile page is a line that says Very Advanced ELM327. There is a line in that section to add text. The following text should be added to that line:

ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8213F0 \n ATSP4 \n 0100

Once that is complete, hit SAVE and go back into the app. The app is now configured to see the JDM ecu's (that code changed the searching frequencies and some other protocol stuff in the app to be able to read the JDM ecu's)

Would be cool if something like this works for us.

Don't suppose anyone with a BT OBD2 scanner wants to gives this a try to see if it works on 7th Gen Celicas? 

Edited by Vettori, 06 August 2015 - 12:02 AM.

#17 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

I've got a BT OBD2 scanner. I'll give this a shot.

#18 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

This happens every bloody time I try. I follow the instructions perfectly every time..

This is after entering my car details when I click on 'Engine and ECT'.

jjp55e.png

Edited by moo11123, 07 August 2015 - 03:26 PM.

#19 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:46 PM

Thats really wierd moo, I tried mine last night and it worked no problems. You don't happen to have maybe a powerfc under the bonnet do you haha.

You seem to be running the same version as me.

#20 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

nah it is stock ECU haha

#21 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:08 AM

This happens every bloody time I try. I follow the instructions perfectly every time..

This is after entering my car details when I click on 'Engine and ECT'.

jjp55e.png

Tried changing area? Settings -> Techstream Configuration -> Change Japan/NA/whatever it is to "Other"

I had it on Japan before and it had the same issue, but changing it to Other did the trick, this is Techstream 10 though so it may differ, but basically change Japan to Other wherever the setting is. After this, when you plug the car in, it'll auto detect it, you won't manually have to select Celica, but it comes up as TOYOTA 2Z-GE or something like that, not Celica.

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#22 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:05 AM

I changed that setting to other, now this comes up.

I know i need to select ZZT in model code, but which one from vehicle spec?

1eqmpt.png

Edited by moo11123, 08 August 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#23 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

I changed that setting to other, now this comes up.

I know i need to select ZZT in model code, but which one from vehicle spec?

Mine came up automatically as 2GE:

k5AJoCU.jpg

Full Screen (Techstream 10 on Windows 10 64-Bit, ZZT-2GE auto detected): http://i.imgur.com/q3cQfeH.jpg

However, if you have to manually select, the options should be -0208 and 0208-, my assumption is one is up to August 2002, and the other is August 2002 onwards, so select -0208 like below (I tried both letting it auto-detect, and trying -0208 manual select, and both worked fine).

4fAxiuv.jpg

Edited by ChocSoldier, 08 August 2015 - 04:06 PM.

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#24 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

cheers mate!

• ChocSoldier likes this

#25 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

Ah the old OBD2 debate. Toyota ECU's are like overprotective parents 99% of the time you can't get at what they're protecting. The Toyota TIS system is excellent and should work if you do the registry hack. My guide was on a 4runner forum but that 86 club looks relatively the same. As for graphing and doing things I can do all of that. I have a laptop so I can drive with it plugged in and mapping my accelerator position and lift occurrences e.t.c. Was only able to access these features after updating but in a menu for safety testing or something there are options for mapping and turning on clutches for AC and what not. There is a feature that allows you to manually select the high profile cam which can make the engines sound lumpy.

tl;dr get the right shit because its not a generic OBD2 issue it has to be Toyota/Lexus specific. 

#26 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

Ah the old OBD2 debate. Toyota ECU's are like overprotective parents 99% of the time you can't get at what they're protecting. The Toyota TIS system is excellent and should work if you do the registry hack. My guide was on a 4runner forum but that 86 club looks relatively the same. As for graphing and doing things I can do all of that. I have a laptop so I can drive with it plugged in and mapping my accelerator position and lift occurrences e.t.c. Was only able to access these features after updating but in a menu for safety testing or something there are options for mapping and turning on clutches for AC and what not. There is a feature that allows you to manually select the high profile cam which can make the engines sound lumpy.

tl;dr get the right shit because its not a generic OBD2 issue it has to be Toyota/Lexus specific. 

If you play around with it again, reckon you could take screenshots of how to get to those sections? I've got Techstream 10 which should be the latest but I haven't played with it enough to find those, I do remember your manual cam change video though.

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#27 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

Given that my mate has my cable and I'm working all the time it's unlikely I'll be able to access it let alone take any screenshots. I vaguely remember the update button to be around the first few steps where you select your engine or something. Sorry I can't be of more assistance, it's there keep looking!

#28 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

WHY OH WHY DOES THIS NOT WORK......

How did you get techstream 10? should I try that instead bro?

n179kl.jpg

#29 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:59 PM

WHY OH WHY DOES THIS NOT WORK......

How did you get techstream 10? should I try that instead bro?

That's weird, is the cable detected under that Firmware Update app thing (in the guide)? Also, is it detected under Techstream? (Go to Setup | VIM Select menu and select the “XHorse - MVCI” - also from the guide)

For Techstream 10, can't remember where I downloaded it from, but mine worked fine under V8 as well. I just figured I may as well get the latest.

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#30 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:11 PM

Yes its selected. Im so angry WHY wont this work.

Did you get techstream 10 for free??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users