• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Celicas
    St204
    St185
    St165
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

I just had a major service on my st204r, and the mechanic suggests that these things should be fixed next time:

Oil leak from front engine seal & oil pump, so it needs new seal kit & oil pump: $638
Oil leak from distributor body,so needs new distributor: $390
One gearbox mount is cracked, so it needs a new one: $ 246
One engine mount is "sagged": $206
Rear struts are stiff, one is possibly seized: $595

I really don't agree with the huge price for the distributor, but I must say the oil leaks are very small, about 2 drops per day. I have noticed there is a tiny oil leak under the distributor and the rear suspension indeed feels stiff. These are only minor problems so far and do not affect the way the car performs at all. Does anyone agree with these prices? Should these things be worried about? or does the mechanic just want all my money? I am doing a cert 2 in vehicle mechanics course in January, so I might be able to do all this my self for a significantly lower price. Replacing distributor and struts my self is certainly something I could to to cut down the price.

Edited by St204 er, 21 November 2015 - 11:41 AM.

#2 st182er

st182er

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

time to buy a new car. sad to say this but its not worth fixing. you can either do that for get a running 5sfe and stick it in.

sig_zpsmro1wsns.png

#3 TD.

TD.

OZCelica Junkie

• NSW & ACT Moderator
  • 1,985 posts
  • Interests:Above Us Only Sky.
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

I really don't agree with the huge price for the distributor, but I must say the oil leaks are very small, about 2 drops per day. I have noticed there is a tiny oil leak under the distributor

Its most likely the 2 rubber o-rings on the main shaft of the distributor, while this sounds easy to replace the screws holding it together weld to the plastic so the heads strip when trying to undo and you damage the distributor housing trying to extract these thin ass screws with extractor bits....i had to throw out my ST185 distributor and purchase a new one from Toyota for $700 a few years back

I am doing a cert 2 in vehicle mechanics course in January, so I might be able to do all this my self for a significantly lower price.

Its always fun to put newly acquired knowledge to the real world test, i say go for it just make sure it done to spec.

Oil leak from front engine seal & oil pump, so it needs new seal kit & oil pump: $638
Oil leak from distributor body,so needs new distributor: $390
One gearbox mount is cracked, so it needs a new one: $ 246
One engine mount is "sagged": $206
Rear struts are stiff, one is possibly seized: $595

Does anyone agree with these prices? Should these things be worried about? or does the mechanic just want all my money?

I agree with the prices of the struts, and the oil leak from timing cover side & oil pump if these are prices for parts only and not labor.

The engines mounts seem about $50ish too expensive.

If this price list also includes labor i would satisfied paying the whole cost if you really want your car repaird.

My workshop charges $180p/h for labor with the minimum charge of half hour increments.

Also, thanks heaps for all the replies. I'm fast learning that this may be the friendliest forum on the internet.

/ragequit_life

#4 St204 er

St204 er

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
    St204
    St185
    St165

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:45 PM

I certainly can't get a new car, I just got this one a month ago haha.. this is all fixable though, better than a cracked engine block. The mechanic did say the car is "in good nick" apart from those problems.. I'll just get it all fixed up. After all the car only cost $3000.

Edited by St204 er, 21 November 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#5 TD.

TD.

OZCelica Junkie

• NSW & ACT Moderator
  • 1,985 posts
  • Interests:Above Us Only Sky.
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:45 AM

Just do the two engine mounts and the timing side oil leak to start with.

Should be like $1000 rough total.

Ebay has engine mounts that cost less so if u take the parts to your mechanic he only needs to charge you labor.

Also, thanks heaps for all the replies. I'm fast learning that this may be the friendliest forum on the internet.

/ragequit_life

#6 St204 er

St204 er

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
    St204
    St185
    St165

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'll get these things done soon enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users