• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Celicas
    St204
    St185
    St165
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:52 PM

So I've seen a few members on this site have done engine rebuilds. How do you actually do them? What I mean is how to get access to parts, tools and a place to do it all? Are there businesses or mechanic shops that will do an engine rebuild for you or is it better to do it at home? I want to eventually do a small rebuild (if this is even considered a rebuild) of my 5sfe with new seals & pumps, new bearings, and a clean of the valves & camshafts. Maybe take the crankshaft and pistons out & give them a good clean. I'm starting to think now that if I take it to a mechanic they'd be like "that'll be $20,000 thanks". So what is the best method to get all of this done? I do have a fair bit of car knowledge, and will have a lot more by February next year since I'm doing a course. Should I even do this? Maybe I'll do it 1 bit at a time.

Edited by St204 er, 15 December 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#2 hemimark

hemimark

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:American Mopar muscle cars especially 1968-1970 B bodies and 1970-1971 E bodies. Celica ST165 and Skyline R32 GT/R.
  • STATE:WA

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

I put a ST205 engine in a ST204 for a guy a while back it took about 10 hours and from memory everything  was straight forward I only had to run one wire from the brake light switch to the 205 ecu because this wire wasn't used on the 5sfe ecu, I used the 205 flywheel and pressure plate with the 5sfe clutch plate and the 5sfe gearbox bolted up no problem the intercooler fitted under the ST204 bonnet and the intercooler radiator bolted into the 204 front. The hardest part was the guy I did it for kept phoning me every half hour wanting to know when it was ready. He left the 5sfe engine in my yard and I ended up selling it for $600 to a guy with a Camry so that sweetened the deal a bit.

#3 St204 er

St204 er

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
    St204
    St185
    St165

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun doing all that work, 10 hours is pretty quick for an engine swap

#4 hemimark

hemimark

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:American Mopar muscle cars especially 1968-1970 B bodies and 1970-1971 E bodies. Celica ST165 and Skyline R32 GT/R.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

It would have been quicker if I didn't have to spend half that time on the phone talking to the car's owner.

#5 trentmeyer23

trentmeyer23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

I am a diesel mechanic and have about 95% of the tools needed at home as well. You just acquire a majority over the years.

Aside from the pump and seals, I think a large portion of your list is overkill. Basic maintenance and proactive repairs to common serviceable parts will be far more cost effective.

My 5S-GTE Build:

Click Here

trentmeyer23siggreen_zpsaf02b3dd.jpg

#6 St204 er

St204 er

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
    St204
    St185
    St165

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

Well I've only had this car for 2 months, and it's 20 years old so I figure it would be necessary to replace pumps & seals. Yeah I guess I shouldn't do anything more than that, I just really want this car to last for another 20 years or more.

#7 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:14 PM

if you want it to last don't ever take it near the redline and do not miss services. the stuff you mentioned is a bit of overkill, maybe you should compression test it once a year or something and/or get the oil analysed if you are curious as to find out the internal condition of your engine.

#8 St204 er

St204 er

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
    St204
    St185
    St165

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

Yeah that sounds like a better idea honestly. Haha no redline? The redline is 6000, what about 5000? That's the highest I've taken it.. but I will probably never go that high again.

#9 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

yeah definitely get your oil analysed and do a compression test :)

#10 TD.

TD.

OZCelica Junkie

• NSW & ACT Moderator
  • 1,988 posts
  • Interests:Above Us Only Sky.

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

So I've seen a few members on this site have done engine rebuilds. How do you actually do them? What I mean is how to get access to parts, tools and a place to do it all? Are there businesses or mechanic shops that will do an engine rebuild for you or is it better to do it at home?

If your working in the auto industry your tools are the most essential part of your job, and some people can spend a lot of money on tools.....DIY'ers find themselves getting stuck along the way because they dont have the right tools for the job.

If your doing the work yourself finding a place to work is usually a matter of convenience......if your only choice is a drive-way you atleast want to be undercover and on flat ground :P
Even if you get the engine out and stripped, some things like bore & hone, decking or re-surfacing have the best results achieved by a machinist or can only be done to specification by a machinist, if you go to a small mechanics shop or fancy performance shop they usually send the block and head out to a machining shop to be freshened up.

In the end its only worth doing it at home if you have the skills and tools to complete the job. What your doing at home is saving big money on labor, some workshops can charge $150+ per hour for labor, and most of the time u get what u pay for

Also, thanks heaps for all the replies. I'm fast learning that this may be the friendliest forum on the internet.

/ragequit_life

#11 trentmeyer23

trentmeyer23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

Also, remember this if you pull it apart and can't get it back together.

efd6de76d00e68472378572446f63c1c.jpg

My 5S-GTE Build:

Click Here

#12 St204 er

St204 er

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
    St204
    St185
    St165

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

I'll have to leave this rebuild until the future, for now I'll maybe do a compression test & replace pumps & belts, all that kind of stuff. What are the benefits to having a block machined and all?

Edited by St204 er, 16 December 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#13 trentmeyer23

trentmeyer23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:25 PM

If it is out of factory specs or heavily worn, it can be brought back to a "like new" kind of state.

There is an abundance of literature around on engines which I would suggest having a read of, or even watching Youtube videos.

Edited by trentmeyer23, 16 December 2015 - 10:27 PM.

My 5S-GTE Build:

Click Here

#14 hemimark

hemimark

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:11 AM

Do a compression test and check the oil pressure if the rings are worn or broken it will have low and uneven compression, if the oil pressure is low it will have worn bearings. If these are within specs then the engine is fine and you will be wasting time and money reconditioning it. When you replace the timing belt replace the cam seal, the front crankshaft seal and the rocker cover seals these are a common source for oil leak. One thing worth remembering is if the timing belt fails on a 5 or 3sfe it won't bend the valves like most engines the cams can't turn independently and the pistons are notched to prevent contact with the valves, so even if you don't replace the timing belt and it does fail it isn't a big deal.

#15 St204 er

St204 er

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
    St204
    St185
    St165

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

I will do some tests before I consider doing a rebuild, if everything is fine I won't do the rebuild.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users