#1 Vettori

Vettori

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

Swap out your boring old steering wheel for something else with media buttons! This wheel in-particular came from a 2010 Auris. The wheel itself is the same as our 09-12 Corollas with only a few differences to the buttons themselves (ie, UK version had phone answer/hangup and voice buttons whereas ours only came with DISP on the right hand side)

The clock spring supports 6 cables, one for the cars horn and two for cruise control... If you are an automatic owner the additional cables are used for your steering wheel mounted shift buttons... However if you are a manual owner these are not populated and you can do whatever the F you want. So I connected up my alternate steering wheels SW1, SW2 and SWG wires then ran some cabling to the head unit and presto, working buttons!

If there is enough interest I can do a more detailed write up some other time.

20160107_150215_zps95cbpazr.jpg

For those of you with a sharp eye, you can see this particular wheel comes with paddle shifters, it might be possible for an automatic owner to migrate to these instead of the ghetto buttons.

Edited by Vettori, 10 January 2016 - 12:46 AM.

• TD. and Sapient like this

#2 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:21 PM

nice man!

#3 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

Well if you like it, that's all that matters, but too me it doesn't feel right.

Does not sit well with the car. Stock steering wheel is much nicer. But nice job.

#4 Vettori

Vettori

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:28 AM

Well if you like it, that's all that matters, but too me it doesn't feel right.

Does not sit well with the car. Stock steering wheel is much nicer. But nice job.

The project was more around making the media buttons functional in a vehicle that otherwise lacked the feature, this wheel was just what I had lying around.

Having said that, I do prefer the slightly thicker grip on this one compared to the thinner stock wheel... just seems to suit my hands better.

I've just done a trip to Sydney and back in the car with this wheel and it felt quite at home. Sitting behind it and looking at images are two completely different things, probably the biggest difference is that this mod has been carried out relatively soon after purchasing the vehicle so I have no long running attachment to the stock wheel.

But as with anything, its a matter of preference.

#5 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

Well it's different, I'll give you that! :)

#6 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

i like it heheh
can u do another photo with the steering wheel tilted a bit further down? (so it follows the line of the top of the dash cluster

#7 Vettori

Vettori

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

i like it heheh
can u do another photo with the steering wheel tilted a bit further down? (so it follows the line of the top of the dash cluster

Yeah no worries, I'll try and take one this week sometime.

#8 hot richard

hot richard

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

That is really good. GOod work

#9 kid_vhee

kid_vhee

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

Bump,

Please post guides etc. What other Toyota wheels might work? - Yaris/Corolla etc. Looking to wire media controls to my Kenwood unit, and my Stock Celica wheel is starting to fade (the leather - could re-dye).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users