#1 Peter97

Peter97

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

Hello guys, my name is Peter and I'm a new member in this forum. I'm looking to buy a 7th gen celica as my first car and at the moment I can't find a clean one in NSW and most of them have way too many Kms (if anyone wants to sell his celica please let me know). As I mentioned before this is going to be my first car and I would like to know if there is anything that I should be aware of when I look for these cars. In my opinion they are really underrated cars and I don't know why.

I can't wait to find a clean one so I can join the group!

#2 gavinwood

gavinwood

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

How many km is too many?

#3 Peter97

Peter97

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

Some of them have around 220.000-250.000 kms

#4 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:01 PM

I had a look through carsales and these two looked decent

http://www.carsales....-3627287/?Cr=11

http://www.carsales....D-3683264/?Cr=5

You  can have my supercharged one with 78,000kms for $15,000 lol

#5 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:15 PM

Ignore KM's, look at maintenance. A friend of mine had one with 297k's when he sold it, still drove great, lift was great, no crunches in the gearbox, etc, and Matt had a good high K one too. Mine's just ticked over 240 and and it was better than some of the ones I saw with 120 etc for sale in my price range.

Obviously factor km's into the price, but with most Japanese cars, K's really don't mean a thing if they're well maintained.

That being said, things to look out for:
Crunches in the gearbox

Lift bolts, if they've been done

Door lock actuators

Headlight condensation

Belt squeal

Red coolant (if they've used green in their car, stay away..)

Type of oil used and frequency (5W-30 or around there, preferably a full synthetic, not a good idea to use 15+W with an engine that has any form of VVT - this is very general, obviously it varies, but 5W-30 is pretty much the standard for 7th gens.  I use 10W-30 Mobil1 EP in mine every 5k)

2009 370Z (close enough to a 7th gen :P)

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#6 Peter97

Peter97

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

I had a look through carsales and these two looked decent

http://www.carsales....-3627287/?Cr=11

http://www.carsales....D-3683264/?Cr=5

You  can have my supercharged one with 78,000kms for $15,000 lol

I've already called these guys but both of the cars are sold

#7 Peter97

Peter97

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

Ignore KM's, look at maintenance. A friend of mine had one with 297k's when he sold it, still drove great, lift was great, no crunches in the gearbox, etc, and Matt had a good high K one too. Mine's just ticked over 240 and and it was better than some of the ones I saw with 120 etc for sale in my price range.

Obviously factor km's into the price, but with most Japanese cars, K's really don't mean a thing if they're well maintained.

That being said, things to look out for:
Crunches in the gearbox

Lift bolts, if they've been done

Door lock actuators

Headlight condensation

Belt squeal

Red coolant (if they've used green in their car, stay away..)

Type of oil used and frequency (5W-30 or around there, preferably a full synthetic, not a good idea to use 15+W with an engine that has any form of VVT - this is very general, obviously it varies, but 5W-30 is pretty much the standard for 7th gens.  I use 10W-30 Mobil1 EP in mine every 5k)

yeah that's true, especially for toyotas... Could you please talk to me a bit about the lift bolts? As I know they affect the car's power but nothing more

Edited by Peter97, 29 February 2016 - 06:41 PM.

#8 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

yeah that's true, especially for toyotas... Could you please talk to me a bit about the lift bolts? As I know they affect the car's power but nothing more

If they snap, lift may work intermittently, sometimes it may work, sometimes it won't. if lift doesn't work, your car won't have power above 6.2k RPM, and will hit the limiter at around 7ish. When lift works, you feel extra power at 6.2k RPM up to the limiter (around 8k RPM give or take a bit depending on the year model).

My lift always worked but I got mine changed anyway. I've read that it doesn't hurt anything to leave it if you have no issues, but I don't like the idea of snapped metal in the engine. I also didn't notice a difference in the feel of lift, but some people say you can feel the power more after changing them. Varies by car and how it's snapped I guess.

In the Lotus Elise owners manual (the one with the 2ZZ-GE, the 7th gen Celica engine), they recommend changing them every 50k because they do wear so I guess it can't hurt to stick to that. It's easier to change them before they break, because getting the snapped bottom half of it out can be a pain. Even if you don't do it yourself, think of the extra you'll pay for longer labour if you take it to a mechanic compared to how much you'd pay if it wasn't snapped. The majority of the cars you look at will not have them done, so factor it into the price.

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#9 Peter97

Peter97

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:43 PM

If they snap, lift may work intermittently, sometimes it may work, sometimes it won't. if lift doesn't work, your car won't have power above 6.2k RPM, and will hit the limiter at around 7ish. When lift works, you feel extra power at 6.2k RPM up to the limiter (around 8k RPM give or take a bit depending on the year model).

My lift always worked but I got mine changed anyway. I've read that it doesn't hurt anything to leave it if you have no issues, but I don't like the idea of snapped metal in the engine. I also didn't notice a difference in the feel of lift, but some people say you can feel the power more after changing them. Varies by car and how it's snapped I guess.

In the Lotus Elise owners manual (the one with the 2ZZ-GE, the 7th gen Celica engine), they recommend changing them every 50k because they do wear so I guess it can't hurt to stick to that. It's easier to change them before they break, because getting the snapped bottom half of it out can be a pain. Even if you don't do it yourself, think of the extra you'll pay for longer labour if you take it to a mechanic compared to how much you'd pay if it wasn't snapped. The majority of the cars you look at will not have them done, so factor it into the price.

Thanks for the info mate, I'll keep it in mind and I'll let you know if I find a decent one, I've been looking everywhere but all the 7th gens are gone.

#10 Peter97

Peter97

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:14 PM

I just saw a celica and I checked all the stuff that you told me but I think that the lift bolts migh be broken. When I asked the guy about the lift bolts he had no idea (the car has 148.000 kms already) the rev limiter was on 7.000 rpm (very easy) but not 8.000 as you said, what do you reckon?

#11 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:00 PM

I just saw a celica and I checked all the stuff that you told me but I think that the lift bolts migh be broken. When I asked the guy about the lift bolts he had no idea (the car has 148.000 kms already) the rev limiter was on 7.000 rpm (very easy) but not 8.000 as you said, what do you reckon?

Did you let the car warm up properly before trying lift? If the temperature gauge is close to halfway and lift still doesn't work, it's generally the bolts but could also be oil control valves being clogged, bad oil used, etc.

Also, the majority of people you ask will have no idea what the bolts are, I find that people don't know a lot about general car maintenance at all lol. If you asked about spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, etc, they would generally also have no idea.

I should also mention to be careful with lower K ones, suss them out thoroughly. My friend's one with 297k I mentioned earlier, we found it for sale with 120k on the clock, fake log books and for about 3k more than he sold it for. Ideally if you can get receipts as well, that would be good. It's hard to fake receipts unless they go to somebody really really dodgy who is willing to put their reputation on the line as well.

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#12 Peter97

Peter97

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:37 PM

The engine was on for about 10 minutes or maybe more, I totally agree that people have no idea about general car maintenance, the previous person that I asked if he changed the lift bolts he said nah bro it's all stock lol. Anyway, I checked the VIN number and everyhing is alright and what we said was that he would bring the car to my mechaninc to have a look at the car and if there was no a major issue with the car I would buy it for $6.000. He sent a message like 3 hours ago and he told me that he sold the car for 6.500. I had a look through the logbook and he didn't have any service written since 2011 but yeh I have to look for another one again.

Thanks a lot for your time and advice.

#13 mrvince

mrvince

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:12 PM

Where'd you get your lift bolts changed? I think I might want to replace mine incase .. lol

#14 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:28 PM

Where'd you get your lift bolts changed? I think I might want to replace mine incase .. lol

Tu's Automotive in Fairfield/Guildford. Two other members got their bolts done there so I figured it was best to go to somebody who has done it before, especially when it was 99% likely to be snapped.

As soon as I said lift bolts, he knew exactly what they were and had them in stock, I also asked for the rocker cover gaskets to be done as well while it was apart.

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#15 apologize1312

apologize1312

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:06 PM

Im selling my clean celica with 90xx km on the car with full maintainance log bog. Perfect condition if you want to take a look.

http://www.gumtree.c...lica/1106800993

Take a look at this one :))

#16 anhphuongvu

anhphuongvu

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

Tu's Automotive in Fairfield/Guildford. Two other members got their bolts done there so I figured it was best to go to somebody who has done it before, especially when it was 99% likely to be snapped.

As soon as I said lift bolts, he knew exactly what they were and had them in stock, I also asked for the rocker cover gaskets to be done as well while it was apart.

The address is 45 Fairfield Street, Old Guildford 2161
he had them in stock because they were my spare ones hahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users