Vettori

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:43 PM

Hey Everyone,

Wanted to have a go at doing the climate control conversion. Was going to do a write-up and step by step video on how to do it, but I'm lazy... sorry about that for those who are interested.

Anyway here is a couple pics. For those interested I can provide you the contact details of a guy in the UK that parts 7th gen celicas if anyone else wants to do it.

20160326_170157_zps5swc2cfa.jpg

This is only the top half of the airbox, gave it a thorough clean-out to get rid of all the UK aids that was in it. (I ordered the entire box from the UK, but only the top half is actually required for mounting the recirculate servo, just keep the local bottom half and screw it on to save on freight)

20160328_183744_zpsnxzct16h.jpg

Group photo! Don't be scared off by the mounting plate, it doesn't have to be removed or ordered. If you do choose to install the parts without removing it however I strongly recommend getting a right angle screw driver!

20160328_174829_zpseryladto.jpg

When ordering, keep in mind that the UK celicas before 2003 had a lighter silver interior. If you get a face plate before 2003 it will look out of place against the rest of your interior

20160404_194634_zps9whv9oyx.jpg

Here it is, all done and working perfectly! It also doesn't matter whether you get the green or amber panel, the only soldered LEDs here are the ones indicating that things like AC, Recirculate etc are on, otherwise just bulbs with coloured caps.

Edited by Vettori, 05 April 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#2 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:50 PM

VERY Nice!! This is something I've been wanting to do for quite a while now. Thanks heaps for the write uP!

#3 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

I've been wanting to do this for awhile but though it's not wroth it as I'm one not to use air con. Even on a hot bloody day, I won't use air con. Kills power and i get a cold from it.

I only wanted to do it for a clean/modern look. Though parts seems to be expensive.

How much did it set you all back, including postage?

Nice work btw!.

#4 Vettori

Vettori

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

I've been wanting to do this for awhile but though it's not wroth it as I'm one not to use air con. Even on a hot bloody day, I won't use air con. Kills power and i get a cold from it.

I only wanted to do it for a clean/modern look. Though parts seems to be expensive.

How much did it set you all back, including postage?

Nice work btw!.

Well... apart from looking more modern you can have it display the outside temperature without any of the other functions on at all ie, evaporator or fan. So there is that .....

Temp_zpswcs8sxfx.png

As far as the cost goes the Airbox cost me £29 + £50 shipping.

The rest of the parts bundled up cost £50 + £60 shipping

So combined the approx total in AUD was $542.

In hindsight though, I didn't need the bottom half of the airbox which includes the blower motor. So If I had been smarter I could have saved some money on shipping but I'd say allocate approx $500 for the project if you felt like doing it.

I got my airbox from ebay a while back, but again if anyone wants to make an enquiry drop me a message and I'll give you the email address of the guy I used to source the parts.

#5 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

Yeah thought about right on the price. I looked into it previously and it came about to the $700 range. Obviously this is cheaper.

If only the Australian models had it.

#6 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

Dam, I always wanted to do this too but was put off by needing to replace the box and blower, etc. Didn't realise it was that expensive. Looks good though, did you already have an 02/03+ Celica or did you need to do the darker interior conversion too?

And yeah sucks that Australian models missed out on so much..

2009 370Z (close enough to a 7th gen :P)

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#7 Vettori

Vettori

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:21 PM

Dam, I always wanted to do this too but was put off by needing to replace the box and blower, etc. Didn't realise it was that expensive. Looks good though, did you already have an 02/03+ Celica or did you need to do the darker interior conversion too?

And yeah sucks that Australian models missed out on so much..

It is an 04 so its the darker colour. Were our pre facelift celicas lighter like other regions?

#8 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

It is an 04 so its the darker colour. Were our pre facelift celicas lighter like other regions?

Yep, I've got the uglier lighter grey unfortunately lol.

2009 370Z (close enough to a 7th gen :P)

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#9 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:40 PM

Hahaha I must be the only one that liked the lighter interior lol

#10 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:36 AM

I actually like the grey as well.

#11 kid_vhee

kid_vhee

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

Hi, if anyone else that still here that can help me out with this. Bought the JDM climate control panel, but can't seem to source any of the parts mentioned on newcelica (sensors, wiring + blower etc) . Can you help me source the stuff? Otherwise, will it still work plug and play into standard Celica with some re-wiring?

#12 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

try a wrecker bro. your best option by far :)

#13 clixx-io

clixx-io

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:26 PM

Hi, if anyone else that still here that can help me out with this. Bought the JDM climate control panel, but can't seem to source any of the parts mentioned on newcelica (sensors, wiring + blower etc) . Can you help me source the stuff? Otherwise, will it still work plug and play into standard Celica with some re-wiring?

The outside sensor will be a resistive type and I do know that on [don't shoot me] Renaults they are put inside the drivers wing mirror. Apparently the grills for Toyota:

ac-ntc-sensors-300x198.png

It's likely to be exactly the same type of sensor that's on all the other toyota's because of the economies of scale.

2012-03-09_194457_08_camry_amb.jpg

Here's a link: http://www.troubleco...t/pcodes/p0071/

Something like this sensor should work (unless somebody else has a correction) : http://www.ebay.com....s-/281907988930

You already have the blower in your car. Use the existing blower.

Edited by clixx-io, 20 December 2016 - 11:08 PM.

#14 kid_vhee

kid_vhee

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

The outside sensor will be a resistive type and I do know that on [don't shoot me] Renaults they are put inside the drivers wing mirror. Apparently the grills for Toyota:

ac-ntc-sensors-300x198.png

It's likely to be exactly the same type of sensor that's on all the other toyota's because of the economies of scale.

2012-03-09_194457_08_camry_amb.jpg

Here's a link: http://www.troubleco...t/pcodes/p0071/

Something like this sensor should work (unless somebody else has a correction) : http://www.ebay.com....s-/281907988930

You already have the blower in your car. Use the existing blower.

Cool thanks, will look at buying toyota/lexus sensor - if the wiring harness don't match, I'll prob end up splicing cables.

In terms of the blower -don't I need the servos ?

#15 clixx-io

clixx-io

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

Cool thanks, will look at buying toyota/lexus sensor - if the wiring harness don't match, I'll prob end up splicing cables.

In terms of the blower -don't I need the servos ?

After I researched all that, I realised that I really should do the same on my Celica. My other car has it all.

I don't know if it's stepper-motors or servo's that are used to control the system.

I have ordered that temperature sensor, and will look into the control system when I have time. On my Celica I saw that a cable drives a thing called a "heater tap" like :

s-l500.jpg

I'll try to find out

Edited by clixx-io, 24 December 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#16 kid_vhee

kid_vhee

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

thanks clixx-io. if all goes well, I'll try to post a full fledged guide for Aus Celica.

#17 kid_vhee

kid_vhee

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

m0001.jpg

Bought this off Yahoo JP for $10 +shipping (combined with the airbox (includes servos))

moguraburi2-img600x450-1476783834mxumyc2

The wiring harness appears to be the full centre console, so I'll be spending some time figuring the AC + blower wiring harness and take that from it. 

Otherwise I'll look into installing this in about 4 weeks or so, got a lot of other work to do.

I'll be installing without sensors for the moment, get the AC + heater to work. Then do sensors later.

#18 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:10 AM

I may have a spare jdm climate control facia i could sell if anyone is looking at undertaking the project

#19 Vettori

Vettori

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

Unfortunately some goose rear ended my car while parked out the front of my house. Will more than likely be a complete write off, since insurance won't cover that stuff I will be stripping it all out of the car to sell separately.

The parts i'll be removing are as follows;

Outside air sensor
Airbox
harness

face plate

solar sensor

all related servos

I'm not entirely sure if I will buy another celica as i might need something more practical for my work. But would be prepared to sell all of it as a kit. The unit I have is green but the light bulbs can easily be changed to whatever you want (amber?)

If you're interested shoot me a message with an offer. I spent ~$550 and will consider any reasonable offer

Also up for grabs is the head unit also shown in the pictures. It was originally bought from ebay for about ~$450, it runs android kitkat and wont blow you away without an amp.. but is otherwise kitted out fairly well with options. Same deal as above for that one

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Climate, Celica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users