#1 Lockster

Lockster

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:32 AM

Does anyone know a good mechanic in Perth who's familiar with the 2ZZ?

There's something not quite right with mine but I don't know enough to tell what it is. I have a baisc mechanical knowledge but nowhere near enough to properly diagnose it. It feels weak and rough, doesn't pull smooth and strong like it used to, and makes a tinny/raspy kind of noise as the revs climb. There is a bit of tappet noise on startup, I don't know if this normal or something I should be concerned about.

I want to have it diagnosed by someone who knows what they're doing and have whatever needs fixing, fixed. I'm a full-time student with very limited funds, so I can't afford to be wasting money taking it to someone who might not know exactly what's going on. I suspect it'll cost me to get it back to A1, so I want to make sure it's done properly the first time.

I'm relatively new to Perth and don't know anyone who can recommend a good mechanic, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

#2 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:24 AM

Tappet noise shouldn't be too loud on child start up, but it can be. Usually louder as the engine heats up.

The 2zz is well known for loud tappet noise.

#3 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:17 AM

I suggest doing a compression test on each cylinder first.

Why not take the car to a reputable local (ish) mechanic. This doesn't sound like its too hard to diagnose.

#4 Champ

Champ

[IAN WRC]

• Admin
  • 1,611 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:19 PM

Give Mal Motors a call and speak to Mal - (08) 9446 6336 or 0422 544 124. He's familiar around the Celica's and may be able to help.

• Lockster likes this

#5 Lockster

Lockster

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

Give Mal Motors a call and speak to Mal - (08) 9446 6336 or 0422 544 124. He's familiar around the Celica's and may be able to help.

Just looked him up and he's less than ten minutes down the road from me so that's perfect. I'll give him a call on Monday. Thanks man :)

Edited by Lockster, 06 May 2016 - 09:36 PM.

• Champ likes this

#6 Champ

Champ

[IAN WRC]

• Admin
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:17 AM

Hope everything all went well...?

#7 kid_vhee

kid_vhee

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

Back on this thread, you reckon Mal will be comfortable at rebuilding 2zzge?

Im already at intake + exhaust +suspension - really next step is rebuild to either higher compression (NA) or lower compression and get boost...

#8 Champ

Champ

[IAN WRC]

• Admin
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

Back on this thread, you reckon Mal will be comfortable at rebuilding 2zzge?

Im already at intake + exhaust +suspension - really next step is rebuild to either higher compression (NA) or lower compression and get boost...

Best you give him a call and discuss this with him directly, because only you know exactly what you want done and how far to take it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users