Rando

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

Hey guys,

I've recently got a stock 2001 Celica for about 2-3 months now and it's my first time learning a manual by myself.

I haven't driven another manual car before, so I don't know if I'm driving it wrong or there is an issue with it.

Is it normal for the RPMs to drop really quickly when the clutch pedal is pushed in to change gears, I need to slip the clutch?(apply a bit of throttle while releasing the clutch pedal) to get a smoother upshift.

Sometimes, if I accidentally push the throttle a bit too much once the clutch fully engages, it is a bit jerky, possibly slipping?

Maybe I need to shift really quickly?

Recently, I've also noticed some oddities with how the car behaves on every cold start.

Rattling sound on start up. (I read somewhere it could be the intake cam sprocket?)

Temp indicator takes a while to get to near the middle of the gauge. Idle RPM about 1500 when temp indicator is at 0, then gradually idle to 900 when the temp indicator is near the middle.

The fuel consumption also seems to be really off compared to everyone else in this forum, I probably drive about 350-400KM every 30-40L refuel, no idea how you guys get over 600KM.

I usually shift between 2500 - 3000 RPM, I haven't hit Lift yet as I'm pretty sure the bolts have snapped, I've been to Tu's in Guildford (Anhphuongvu's mechanic) and he quoted about $400 to change them, so I would rather sort out the other issues before the Lift bolts.

Any advice and insights are appreciated.

Thanks! 

#2 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:59 PM

Don't quote this as gospel, but the reason why it's jerky when releasing the clutch and then straight onto the gas is that 2500-3000 IMO is too low. I find it easier to shift while giving it, but when driving slow, you need to be shifting at 3000rpm, no lower.

If you're slow to shift and shift at below 3000rpm, the rpm will drop quite a bit and you lose that power and it jerks as it struggles when you hit the gas. Especially when it's cold.

My Celi hates the cold. If I don't warm it up I get a bit of a jerk when slamming the clutch to change gear. It's fine after 2mins. I guess if you warm it up well, you should be fine to shift between 2500-3000. The car should technically blip when pressing the clutch, so it gives you around 100-200rpm etc for that change in shift.

In general, I've always found that the Celica is not the easiest manual to drive. It just needs timing, attention and a little warmth ;)

Luckily for me, the TRD short shifter improves the shifting experience.

P.S. If it's slipping, you will notice that once your foot goes to the gas after shifting, the revs will increase quite a bit before the car moves. Does the clutch have a bite/friction point when pressing it?

EDIT: Welcome.

Edited by ZRB, 26 April 2016 - 07:04 PM.

#3 ChocSoldier

ChocSoldier

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

Jerking when you're not using the clutch and suddenly accelerate (i.e. when the car is moving with foot off the clutch) is normal in all manual cars depending on the RPM you're at, and the gear, not sure how to explain it but you're basically suddenly giving it load which unsettles the car, I'd normally smooth it out by using the clutch. Hard to explain when to do it, it's kinda a feel thing.

For everything else ZRB said, it's about right, 7th gens seem to be a bit sluggish when cold, when they're warmer they drive much better. Also, the RPM will drop, that's normal, however it should blip slightly as ZRB said (100-200 rpm increase before it drops).

On my old engine I got lift bolts and new valve cover gaskets from Tu's for $440 under a year ago so that sounds about right, just make sure to mention the gaskets just in case.

Also, as for fuel consumption, that's about right, when people claim 600 the mean the entire tank which is 59L or something like that, so for 30-40L, 350-400km's is about right.

2009 370Z (close enough to a 7th gen :P)

2002 ZZT231 SX

1993 ST184 WRC Trophy

#4 gavinwood

gavinwood

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

Go and get a driving lesson
  • Lockster likes this

#5 trentmeyer23

trentmeyer23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

Go and get a driving lesson

This will be much safer and reduce the damage on your car from poor driving habits.

My 5S-GTE Build:

Click Here

trentmeyer23siggreen_zpsaf02b3dd.jpg

#6 chris91

chris91

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Cars, chicks, study
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

I get 600km on almost a full tank, and that's running on Shell 98, it'll slightly give u better fuel consumption than Vortex 95. Tested it awhile back, its only about 50-100km though.

VVTL-I all the way

#7 Rando

Rando

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Been monitoring the fuel consumption for a while and it averages just below 9L/100KM, almost no highway driving. I guess that's not something to worry about.

When you guys mention the tacho should go up 100-200RPM when the clutch pedal is pushed, do you mean that only happens during the up-shift or just any time the clutch is pushed in while the car is moving steadily?

I only notice it a bit during an up-shift.

#8 moo11123

moo11123

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:BOOSTED 7th GEN CELICAS!! <3

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:39 PM

You don't need to apply throttle when upshifting, as long as the car has momentum and is rolling forward you can slowly ease out the clutch without applying any throttle because the rolling motion of the wheels will spin the transmission as you release the clutch. if the car is jerking due to incorrect gear changes the clutch is not slipping, the jerking motion can only occur if the clutch is gripping the flywheel and not slipping on it.

The spinning of the wheels will also bring the RPM of the engine back up to what it should be in that gear at that specific speed (after it drops from pushing the clutch in).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Engine, Service, Manual

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users