OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Learning about stuff.
  • STATE:ACT

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:51 PM

Hi guys, hoping someone can help.

The trouble started a few days ago. 1991 ST184 with a 5SFE and 260,000 on the clock. Noticed a little bogging which got worse over the course of a couple of days to the point where it's nearly undriveable. I can slowly accelerate if I'm really careful and gentle, but push the accelerator a little too far and I very quickly lose power. This is much worse on uphill than on the flat or downhill. Babying it home I was holding up traffic taking off from the lights. 

I started noticing the problem around the same time I ran the fuel tank down until the light came on, so my first suspect was a clogged fuel filter. Changed that out and the old filter was just filthy, so that seemed like a good bet, but the problem remained (though slightly improved, maybe?). So we thought maybe the filter in the tank was clogged too, but it was okay. (gave it a clean anyway). The fuel pump seems to be operating fine. 

Checked the spark plugs, checked what sensors we could think of (throttle position, the two sensors on the cold air intake. Unplugging the coolant temp sensor or MAP sensor didn't net any positive results). Checked for any obvious leaks in the vacuum hoses. My mate poked around in the dizzy and cleaned some bits in there (he's better at this than me).

I stuck a paperclip in the ECU but it didn't throw any error codes. 

The funny thing is, if you coax it gently past the bogging you can get it to rev up to 5k. I'm stumped.

Any ideas before I take it into the shop?

Oh, and there's oil coming out the dipstick hole, which hasn't happened before. 

ANY suggestions appreciated.

Edit: compression test was 190 on all four cylinders.

Edited by Morelia, 16 June 2016 - 10:54 PM.

'91 ST184. R.I.P.

'96 ST204

-

“If brute force doesn't work, you aren't using enough.”

#2 pinkst162formylady

pinkst162formylady

OZCelica Junkie

• WA Moderator
  • 4,446 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

Blocked injectors would be the next check.

#3 Morelia

Morelia

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

Thanks. I dropped it at the shop this arvo. I'll report back with what they say.

Edit: they say the fuel pump is going.

Seriously thinking about buying my brother's 6th gen. As much love and time as I've put into it, it may be time to let go.

'91 ST184. R.I.P.

'96 ST204

-

#4 Dom

Dom

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Cars, football, playing tennis, music, social drink
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

Maybe the  PCV crankcase ventilation is blocked

domssig_zps48a8abc9.png

#5 pinkst162formylady

pinkst162formylady

OZCelica Junkie

• WA Moderator
  • 4,446 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

Old cars will always have parts needing to be replaced. Fuel pump isnt expensive. Esp seeing as you can do it yourself.

#6 Morelia

Morelia

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

The guys in the shop put a new fuel pump in without checking first, but at least it sorted the problem and I don't mind supporting the little guys.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to replace the hoses since the vac lines seem close to perishing, and I'll check the PCV valve for blockages (I'm assuming the oil coming out the dipstick hole is unrelated to the dead fuel pump, and more likely to be a blocked PCV valve or sumfin.)

Having my baby back and happily vrooming down the road, I can't see how I ever thought it would be a good idea to give up on her. I must have just been frustrated. 

Edited by Morelia, 17 June 2016 - 06:38 PM.

'91 ST184. R.I.P.

'96 ST204

-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users