#1 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

I've noticed this before, but I've again noticed it during the day, in the last couple of weeks. My Celica will drop to like 200rpm idle and fluctuates between there and just under 1000rpm.

At night it's fine as having the lights on usually means slightly higher revs.

I thought maybe an electrical issue, but could be something else as when changing gears quickly while the car is cold, I.e. slamming the clutch pedal, it feels like it skips. Hard to explain. Though after after warming up, it's fine. However the low idle stays around. But again, it's random.

Other than that the car runs fine. No rpm loss when accelerating or anything like that.

I'll get my mechanic to check it out, but just curious what you guys think it may be?

I've put a nulon cleaner in the tank for injectors etc. Still over half a tank. I'll see if that helps.

#2 JB.

JB.

Forum Member

• WA Moderator
  • 529 posts
  • Interests:Things and stuff...and things
  • STATE:WA

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

I just read up on this issue....does it rapidly fluctuate between 200-1000rpm? or does it stay at one rpm or the other for a while?

Ride Thread

Formerly: Jaybo

#3 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:17 PM

Fluctuates.

#4 sallycelica

sallycelica

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

I've noticed this before, but I've again noticed it during the day, in the last couple of weeks. My Celica will drop to like 200rpm idle and fluctuates between there and just under 1000rpm.

At night it's fine as having the lights on usually means slightly higher revs.

I thought maybe an electrical issue, but could be something else as when changing gears quickly while the car is cold, I.e. slamming the clutch pedal, it feels like it skips. Hard to explain. Though after after warming up, it's fine. However the low idle stays around. But again, it's random.

Other than that the car runs fine. No rpm loss when accelerating or anything like that.

I'll get my mechanic to check it out, but just curious what you guys think it may be?

I've put a nulon cleaner in the tank for injectors etc. Still over half a tank. I'll see if that helps.

#5 sallycelica

sallycelica

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

I've got same prob... idle @800 when warm...

#6 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

800 is fine to be honest. Mine just dips back and forth. But not all the time.
  • JB. likes this

#7 JB.

JB.

Forum Member

• WA Moderator
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

Fluctuates.

Hey! Sorry about the late reply. So I read up on this issue recently out of curiosity and found the most common solutions were:

1. Bleed coolant system of air. If you know how to do it yourself PROPERLY then go ahead. Otherwise get your mechanic to do it.
  2. Clean IACV.
  3. Clean MAF sensor. WITH MAF CLEANER ONLY!!! Otherwise you may damage the sensor.
  4. Check electric current and voltage to the IACV. If it's not to spec then replace it and retest. If it's still not to spec then you have a wiring or voltage output problem. (I doubt it's a wiring problem though)

Hope that solves the problem. :)

I've got same prob... idle @800 when warm...

That is normal idle. If the idle is erratic or lower and struggling then you have a minor problem.

• Sapient likes this

Ride Thread

#8 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

All good mate. I've been meaning to get the coolant replaced buy another mechanic.

I clean the MAF after each oil change. Turns out my mechanic was using 10w-30. Lifters were a little noisy. So going to go 5w-30 soon and throw in some nulon lifter clean.

I tried removing the iacv once. Bolts would not budge. I just sprayed a little while it was on the car..

I'll see if my mechanic can give it a go while I get the coolant replaced.

#9 JB.

JB.

Forum Member

• WA Moderator
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

How did it go with the coolant change/flush?

Ride Thread

#10 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

Not done yet. My mobile mechanic used a different spray into the iacv which seems to have helped. I'll keep monitoring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users