OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

Hi

Thanks for the add to the forums. 

We have purchased a 92 ST184 Celica for $400 odd to compete in the 2017 Sh!tbox rally. The rally is a major fund raiser for the cancer council with aims to raise $1.5m in the rally. 

I hope that members will be able to assist us with tips on getting the car ready, as we really want to see a Celica take not he challenge of driving from Adelaide to Cairns via some of Australia's most arduous roads. 

Here is a link to our FB page that shows our story and our car, looks pretty rough at the moment. 

https://www.facebook.com/sbrnfi/

Looking forward to sharing the experience with you all. 

One of the first questions we have is any suggestions for a reasonable set of roof racks or anyone know someone selling a suitable set for a 92 ST184. 

Cheers

Steve 

• Champ likes this

#2 JB.

JB.

Forum Member

• WA Moderator
  • 532 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

I worked as a roof rack salesman and techie for about 2-3 years.

If you have a liftback, you will be very limited to the roofracks you can safely attach to the vehicle. If you have a coupe, you have a little more roof space (flatter and longer) and could safely install any direct-mount system to your roof. (requires drilling) (Just saw the facebook page....you have a liftback! :P )

Just be wary that with most roof rack systems the recommended load limit is 100Kg, however for the celica i would say around 50-75Kg with the kinds of conditions you'll be undertaking. 

I would recommend a Yakima or Rhino-Rack direct mount system with a front wind fairing (try to find second hand and buy new hardware) (Requires drilling)

I thought about recommending the Yakima Q-Tower with Q-Stretch, but the celicas don't have a bare door jam so that wont work without destroying the window seal or constantly driving with the windows slightly open. (Clamp gets in the way of window)

As for getting the car ready, what engine does it have? Any mods, suspension or repairs from previous owners that you're aware of?

Edited by JB., 28 September 2016 - 01:30 PM.

Ride Thread

Formerly: Jaybo

#3 St184 Qld

St184 Qld

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hey, 

Thanks for the info. 

I am half wondering about getting a welder to weld some rails to attach a roof basket to.. basically bodge it as the rolla racks are 360 plus fitting plus basket 

Apart from that, its all pretty standard. 

Cheers

Steve 

#4 st182er

st182er

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:39 PM

car out, lets see how hard you can push the camry engine through the rally haha nice job.

my tip would be lighten the damn thing and strip everything out of it

sig_zpsmro1wsns.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users