geron

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

Hi Guys,

Toyota no longer sell the engine cross member rubbers for any of the ST18X.

It's 8 rubbers all up. 4 at the front and 4 at the rear of the cross member, facing the back of the car.

I'm looking at replacing these.

Does anyone know of any alternative suppliers?

Would these be the same as say a Camry?

Any ideas?

Peter

ST182 GT-R

300ZX TT

KQ Laser SR

#2 Skeletor

Skeletor

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

As an alternative to OEM & rubber, Speed Source sell solid cross member bushing

#3 geron

geron

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

I think the solid ones will transmit engine vibration through the chassis.

That's why I wanted some new rubber ones.

Currently getting engine vibration through the chassis and in the process of changing all engine mounts and wanted to do the engine cross member rubbers as well.

The original ones are so hard, they might as well be solids.

There was a set of polyurethane ones not long ago on ebay but no longer. Damn, I had these on order through Toyota who told me 3wks ago they were available but today they said, Japan has told them they are not.

Peter

As an alternative to OEM & rubber, Speed Source sell solid cross member bushing

ST182 GT-R

300ZX TT

KQ Laser SR

#4 geron

geron

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:04 PM

I thought to get on here and wrapup this post.

I managed to get the rubbers from Ryde Toyota and a place in America who stock old ran-out stuff. So happy about that. Still though, they indicated that some of these rubbers are now not available.

For anyone with an ST182 GT-R 3SG-E that requires to replace any engine mounts, don't stress. They are the same as the Celica ST184 5SFE!

The RHS mount however has a longer stud on the top which holds the bracket in place which the other end goes onto the alternator.

All that has to be done is to unscrew the stud from the old engine mount and screw it in to the new engine mount. The new engine mount has a shorter stud. Or just get the bracket of a 5SFE Celica. Whatever is easier. I just unscrewed the stud.

The LHS Mount, is also identical to the 5SFE versions. Just make sure you get the right mount for AUTO or MAMUAL because they are very different.

The OEM rear mount has a weight on it. I believe some aftermarket ones don't. I got the OEM but if I was looking at aftermarket I would get one that looks like the OEM.

Also OEM has an indicator on the top to point to the FRONT of the motor. Some aftermarket don't. In fact all OEM engine mounts have the markings on the top which point to the Front of the engine so they are installed correctly.

And for anyone getting vibrations through the Chassis like my car did to the point where the steering wheel would rattle, in idle and when in gear, and body would vibrate itself to bits, it's an engine mount. Most likely either the RHS or LHS which these are responsible for SUPPORTING THE ENGINE in place. The front and rear only do the engine rocking under acceleration.

From what I can see, after 20yrs the engine mounts go hard, the rubber on the new engine mounts is nice and soft absorbing movement much more.

Replacing the engine mounts is very easy on these cars. I guess it depends on how mechanically minded one is but for me it was very easy.

No more vibrations.

Peter

Edited by geron, 03 November 2016 - 04:01 PM.

ST182 GT-R

300ZX TT

KQ Laser SR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users