geron

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have an electrical diagram that can share of the interior lighting circuit.

The most ridiculous thing happened yesterday... i went to change the interior light bulb on the roof. Put new globe in nothing. Put another in and still nothing. I went to check for power using the multimeter and accidently crossed the terminals very briefly (one slid across slightly while trying to hold them above head height), well there was power and ONLY the driver door light went out.

Long story short, the third light bulb worked!

But the problem is, when opening the driver door no interior lights come on. No key light, nothing.

Open the passenger door or hatch and all works as per normal. I'm like WTF???

Following diagnosis, checked the 20a fuse at the front and it's fine. Checked for shorts and continuity and I don't see any issues.

BUT... the driver door switch only has 3.5v going to it instead of the full 12v power (the passenger side has 12v). So I need to see where this wire hooks onto to get it's power from.

Is there an interior lighting circuit relay somewhere or a control box?

I have a feeling that either a relay or a control box is at fault here. I don't see a broken wire issue. This wire is getting it's source from somewhere perhaps a relay or a control box and I can't figure out why the passenger side is totaly fine which leads me to believe that the LHS and RHS circuits are totally separate from each other.

If I can get the interior lighting circuit diagram, I can figure it out from there.

Any suggestions?

Peter

Edited by geron, 31 October 2016 - 12:12 PM.

ST182 GT-R

300ZX TT

KQ Laser SR

#2 Dom

Dom

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Cars, football, playing tennis, music, social drink

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:36 AM

Is this what your after?

http://bgbonline.cel...0ewd/index.html

domssig_zps48a8abc9.png

#3 Fodder

Fodder

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:Cars, volleyball, fun winding roads
  • STATE:WA

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:21 PM

Might be a silly question, but it's definitely not just the sensor in the door frame?  Mine has intermittently stopped working from time to time, taking off the rubber cover and giving it a spray with some WD40 brings it back to life.

updated%20beast-at-dusk_zpshfnalfwz.jpg
- 1990 JDM ST185 - TEIN HAs / CUSTOM DMS SPRINGS - WHITELINE REAR SWAYBAR - WHITELINE REAR STRUT BRACE - CT20B TURBO - 3" AUSSIE EXHAUST / DUMP PIPE - CHINA SPEC FMIC - NPC CLUTCH / LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL - GROUP A FRONT BAR - CUSTOM PEELING CLEARCOAT - 18" OX631 RIMS - TURBOTECH MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER (@15PSI) -

#4 geron

geron

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:45 PM

It's not the actual door switch as such.

I downloaded the Celica maintenance manual and had a look at the internal lighting circuit.

After a lot of trying to figure this out myself and going round in circles, I admitted defeat and took it to the sparky today.

Long story short, the control module on the driver kick panel is the cause of the problem.

So he connected the door switch to the hatch circuit and cost bugger all to do. The system is back to normal again.

Next time I'm at the wreckers, I will pull the control module out of a wrecked celica and put it in. Or I can leave it as is indefinitely. It's not a big deal.

It can be reverted back to OEM in no time the sparky said.

But the amazing thing is that we both agreed that the fuse should have gone instead. Sometimes there is a weak spot in the system and in this case IT was in the control module. Amazing...

Thank you gents for replying though. It is much appreciated :)

Edited by geron, 01 November 2016 - 08:49 PM.

• Fodder likes this

ST182 GT-R

300ZX TT

KQ Laser SR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users