#1 CCCCC

CCCCC

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • STATE:ACT

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:31 AM

Has anyone done a conversion from the stock Celica brake calipers to the Toyota Avensis? What is the performance like? I saw a post on another forum and the conversion looked pretty straightforward (https://www.newcelic...ad.php?t=343568). I have a 7th gen track car that gets a little bit sketchy under brakes after 4 hours of punishment. Current setup is drilled and slotted rotors with EBC yellowstuff and stock calipers. Pic of the car attached. Unfortunately after market big brake upgrades are out of the question in the class we are in. 

Edited by CCCCC, 03 September 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#2 CCCCC

CCCCC

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:34 AM

https://imgur.com/gallery/d9wv8pq

• Champ likes this

#3 TD.

TD.

OZCelica Junkie

• NSW & ACT Moderator
  • 1,984 posts
  • Interests:Above Us Only Sky.
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 03 September 2018 - 06:15 PM

I have a 7th gen track car that gets a little bit sketchy under brakes after 4 hours of punishment.

wow 4hrs untill things get sketchy, thats pretty good !

Also, thanks heaps for all the replies. I'm fast learning that this may be the friendliest forum on the internet.

/ragequit_life

#4 Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

Considering we didn't get the Avensis in Aus (the Avensis Verso is a different animal) I highly doubt it has been looked at much here.  Also I believe all Aus-delivered ZZT231s had 275mm front brakes (that guide refers to 255mm which is probably the overseas 1ZZ povo-spec).

As an aside, do you know which part of your current setup is letting you down?  If it's the calipers, maybe check out if the twin-piston AE101/AE111 SuperStrut calipers can be made to fit?  I'm using an ST204 pad carrier to adapt them to my AE102 MacPherson strut (the SuperStrut hubs are much bigger) so I can retain the 275mm disc diameter.

sig_pic_zpsfa6edc07.jpg

ST162 - Charlie the pie-eater: Carted away on the back of a flat-bed...
JZZ30 - Lexi: Now an organ donor.
AE102 - Charlene: Reborn
AE82 - Rosie: 70.8kw, definitely not carving corners. Decidedly cube-shaped

#5 CCCCC

CCCCC

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:46 AM

wow 4hrs untill things get sketchy, thats pretty good !

I wish, they get sketchy after about 10 mins of solid driving, but amazingly they survive. 

#6 CCCCC

CCCCC

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:05 PM

Considering we didn't get the Avensis in Aus (the Avensis Verso is a different animal) I highly doubt it has been looked at much here.  Also I believe all Aus-delivered ZZT231s had 275mm front brakes (that guide refers to 255mm which is probably the overseas 1ZZ povo-spec).

As an aside, do you know which part of your current setup is letting you down?  If it's the calipers, maybe check out if the twin-piston AE101/AE111 SuperStrut calipers can be made to fit?  I'm using an ST204 pad carrier to adapt them to my AE102 MacPherson strut (the SuperStrut hubs are much bigger) so I can retain the 275mm disc diameter.

Ahh.... right. Thanks so much for your reply, sounds like the Avensis brakes are not an option.

It's not so much the braking performance which is letting us down, more the reliability and feel. After the brakes start to heat up the pedal gets pretty spongy and putting the boot in doesn't fill you with confidence.

We are also experiencing some fairly bad wear in the EBC yellowstuff pads; inside pad is just about on the backing plate at the 2 hour mark. I suspect this is due to too much heat and issues with the pins on the calipers (bent or float in the carrier). We are running dot 5.1 brake fluid and I have some new braided lines and calipers to put on. Fingers crossed they help! If it continues to become an issue, I'll look further into your alternative ideas. Thanks again, I really appreciate it. 

#7 TD.

TD.

OZCelica Junkie

• NSW & ACT Moderator
  • 1,984 posts
  • Interests:Above Us Only Sky.

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

Depending on how much you want to spend your either going to have to invest in brake cooling options OR larger brake kits from places like ceika, both are ideal if you can afford it

Decent track size discs start at 300mm

Also, thanks heaps for all the replies. I'm fast learning that this may be the friendliest forum on the internet.

/ragequit_life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users