The Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Interests:Fast Cars, Fast Women
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

Every now and then, people will PM me or catch me on MSN and ask me the same questions.

So this is Lance's FAQ about 5th Gen's. <--- If you want to add something PM me

I'll try and keep these in order. If you think you can add to the FAQ then drop me a line. If you don't agree, then by all means, argue your point.
But the point of this thread is to cover all the basic questions so im not repeating myself.

This is a work in progress, and ill be adding to it as more things come up.

Performance

Question: I own a Celica and want to upgrade my exhaust. What do you recommend, How much would it cost, What kind of performance gains will i get?
Answer: Obviously this is dependant on the type of celica you have. So i'll split it up.
Non Turbo - This covers both the 3S-FE, 5S-FE and 3S-GE.
4 into 1 headers
2"-2.5" cat back <--- smaller is better, less tinny, and more torque, larger, loud, and more power
Lukey Turbo muffler (avoid cannons)
12" hotdog resonator
Cost: depending on who you know and what you get done. $500-$1000 for a decent exhaust
Gains: probably around 10-20 HP, nice revvy engine, and increased economy
Turbo - This covers the 3S-GTE
Aussie exhaust makes an entire system for the GT4, around $2500 last count, but worth every cent.
What i did.
Aussie exhaust downpipe (copy off ebay)
3" Mandrel bent exhaust, with 3" Lukey turbo muffler, and Resonator
Cost: $180 for the dump pipe and around $500 for the rest of the system
Gains: 30-40HP depending on wha tyou got done

Question: What are some easy mods to do for me to gain some free ponies?
Answer: Use Premium Petrol
Advance the timing (around 15-17 degrees BTDC to the 5s-fe, 3s-ge, 12 degrees on the 3sgte [keep your ear on pinging])
Replace the air filter, pod or k&n panel filter
Reset your ECU (so it can relearn)

Question:
I want to go Aftermarket ECU, what do you recommend?
Answer: Have a talk to your tuner first, there is no point buying an ECU your local tuner doesn't know how to tune.
My recommended picks are, Wolf, Haltech, EMS for the budget conscious.
Microtech are ok, but don't expect any kind of fuel economy with them.
How much? anywhere from $1000-2000 fitted and tuned.

An excellent read into all the features available going aftermarket EMS. Read this.
http://www.emeraldm3d.com/ems.htm

Question:
I own a GT4, and i want to upgrade my turbo, what do you recommend?
Answer: Unfortionate for you, you bought a 3S-GTE engine, which isn't popular at all in australia. But there is still hope.
Stage 1: High flow CT26 - Highflows are by far the most easiest way to get performance out of your car. I won't go into details on explaining what they are,
But, i will recommend talking to your turbo rebuilder. I recommend using a 45mm Compressor with around 12degree clip on the turbo (steel turbine advised)
Gains: 300hp is possible with the right mods and tuning
Stage 2: CT20B - 2nd hand turbo, you risk buying a dud. But if you find a good one, Has all the advantages of the CT26 highflow, except spools very quickly!
Gains: 300hp is possible with the right mods and tuning
Stage 3: TD06-20G or GT3040 - Popular turbos, support around 350-450hp depending on the trim you are using. ATS usa have a bold on TD06 kit, highly recommended. And there is also a company in the states that make a GT3040 kit.
Stage 4: The skys the limit. I won't go here, as its out of budget for most of the people concerned.

Question: My engine has seen better days, and needs a rebuild, what do you recommend?
Answer: My recommendations depend on your wallet and your power aims. There is no point building an engine capable of 600hp if your only going to be using it for 200hp day to day duties.
If you want a simple rebuild. Minimum things that should be done
-New Oil Pump
-New bearings (King's bearings, or clevites)
-New Rings (total seal rings)
-New seals all round
-New Water pump
-Metal headgasket
Cost: around $1000 in parts alone plus labour on top. Talk to your engine build around it.
Added Cost: Forgies, headwork etc... ill leave this upto you to decide. But research what your doing.

Question: Im interested in reading up on what works and doesn't work when it comes to modifying my car?
Answer: www.alltrac.net
www.celicatech.net
www.mr2oc.com <---- highly recommended
Don't forget to check out sites that cover silvia's and skylines. An engine is an engine after all.

Question: I have a (3S-FE, 5S-FE, 3S-GE) and i want to go turbo charged. What are my options?
Answer: At this point in time, if you have either any of the above engines keep in mind, that turbo'ing a NA engine isn't easy and possibly dangerous if you get it wrong.
Your options:
3S-GTE swap. Its a very straight forward swap. Get a halfcut, use your current gearbox, get a clutch kit, bolt it all together, and wire in. Can't get any easier then that.
If you insist on turboing the engine you have, then this is what you need to get it done.
3sgte turbo manifold
ct26 turbo (no more then 7psi MAX, unless you modify the engine for more boost)
downpipe (stock/aftermarket)
custom sump (for oil return)
oil feed (t piece from oil pressure gauge)
Injectors (5sfe can use the injectos off the MKIII Supra)
Intercooler + Piping
ECU
And Tune

Both routes will cost about the same. The 3SGTE swap will be the most beneficial with room for improvement just by going bolt ons. 5S-FE will become very torque and very ideal for daily driving situations. But limited to modifications until you drop the cylinder compression.

Edited by -==L=a=N=c=E==-, 13 November 2005 - 04:45 PM.

Richard - "Never enough power. Just not enough traction."

Do you need 3S-GTE/ST185 technical articles? Look at my collection HERE

#2 -==L=a=N=c=E==-

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

The Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:07 PM

Maintenance/Issues

Question: My gearbox is hard to shift/grinds when going from gear to gear, usually 2nd and 3rd?
Answer: Unfortionate to the way the gearbox was designed, Synchro's are the more then likely culprit.
What can be done about it? not much, the damage has alreayd been done. You can minimise the problems by using thinner fluid,
Or using Auto Tranny fluid. Synchromesh is right up there in the states, but will eventually cause you major problems.
The only way around this is to get a new gearbox, or get a rebuild. Rebuilds will cost anywhere frmo $500 - $3000 depending on the damage done,
and the work carried out.

Question: I think i have a blown headgasket, what are the symptoms?
Answer: A blown headgasket is never good, but isn't always the cause of some engine anamalies you will face having a Celica. But the telltale signs you have a blown headgasket.
-WHITE smoke coming out of the car after it has fully heated up.
-Radiator fluid looks very murky, has the consistency of a milk shake (oil in water)
-Engine oil is white (water in oil)
-Low compression in multiple cylinders
-'missing' when engine is turned on
-Overheats very quickly
-Radiator coolant keeps disappearing (can sometimes be a water leak)

Rule of thumb is look for a couple of the symptoms to confirm you have popped the headgasket. IF you pop your headgasket while driving, switch the car off straight away and park it. As driving with no coolant will do some major damage after 5 minutes of sedate driving. Such as warped head, and in worse case scenario, ceasing the engine. Blown headgaskets apply to everyone who drives a 3S-GTE engine and hasn't upgraded the shitty stock gasket.

Question: You seem to know alot about cars, how did you learn?
Answer: To be honest with you, i know NOTHING about cars, everything i did to my car (dropping engine, rebuild, intercooler etc...) i learnt how to do as i went along. To be honest, it isn't as hard as you think. In the process i've saved myself a bucket load of money. And have learnt alot about cars in the process.

The handiest document you can have when it comes to the Celica is the Toyota BGB (Big Green Book) step by step instructions on how to do everything related to your car. Worth the download, and worth the read. All questions relating to how to fix the most common problems can be found in here.

http://ugbox.net/~la.../Technical/BGB/

Question: I want to Reset my ECU, how, when, why do i do it, and what gets affected?
Answer: Sometimes the situations evolve where you need to reset the ecu for any particular reason. Change of fuel, change of timing, change of modifications. Letting the ecu relearn how your car reacts in certain situations can have benefits such as more power and more economy.
Things which the ecu 'may' change.
-Closed loop operation - more efficient compensation at cruise
-Timing - more efficient timing when needed.
-Reser any error codes.
The ECU is a dumb device, it is very limited at what it can 'relearn' but its still valuable to reset it if your unsure.

How to reset the ecu: The fuse box in the engine bay, beside the battery ,there is a EFI fuse. Pull this fuse for a period of around 15-30 seconds and replace. The ECU is now reset.

Question: I want to check if my ECU has any stored error codes, how do i do it?
Answer: Very easy. Switch the car completely off, now find the diagnostic port on the passenger side of the engine bay. And short out the TE1-E1 ports. This will put the ECU in debug mode.
Now switch the ignition to ON, but don't start the car. Notice how the engine light will now flash.
If the flashing is a steady stream of flashing, with no breaks/pauses, then there are no errors present, and the ecu is working correctly.
If the flashes flash out a code, for example, the code '21' will go. FLASH FLASH pause FLASH pause, etc... This means the ECU is reproting a code 21, these can be referenced from the look up table in the BGB.

The full look up table, and the exact instructions on how to find out whats wrong with your ecu, can be found here.

#3 -==L=a=N=c=E==-

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

The Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

Exterior/Wheels

Question: I want to fit wheels to my celica, what size and offset is best?
Answer: The Celica uses a 5x100PCD hole radius. It shares the same as most subaru's and some european cars such as the Audi.
Offset is a little interesting though. The stock offset on the Celica is +39. That is, the hub is set 39mm more positive. This picture explains it better.
Posted Image
What this means, is you can't just go out and buy WRX wheels, as they often come in an offset of 45+. Which would in turn make the wheel scrape against the struts or the body in some situations.

My recommendations, is if your going for 17" tires, with 7" wide profile, somewhere between the 32+ 36+ area is ideal.
http://marksink.com/...set/offset.html <--- an excellent link to see how much closer the wheel will be to the inside/outside.

Question: I want to fit a Group A bumper/hood, what are the part numbers for such an upgrade?
Answer:
Posted Image
Posted Image
RC-KIT-Bumper
Reinforcement #1 52021-20210
Reinforcement #2 52029-20010
Fascia 52119-20929
Grille LH 53104-20030
Grille RH 53103-20030
Grille Lower 53102-20030
Grille Center 53101-20450

RC-KIT-Hood QTY:
Bonnet Panel (hood) 1 53301-20400
Guide #1 1 76182-20020
Guide #2 1 76191-20900
Retainer 2 76188-20010
Bulge (Scoop insert) 1 76181-20901
Plate 1 76192-20010
Cushion 1 76186-20010
Cushion 7 76183-12030
Retaining Nut 6 90179-05081
Retaining Nut 4 90179-05103
Hood Scoop Bolt 3 90164-50033
Retaining Washer 3 90183-06009
Scoop to hood bolt 8 90109-06241
Cushion 8 90540-06032
Retaining Nut 8 90179-06007
Ornament 033=LH, 034=RH 2 75033-20020-202 (Black)

Question: Are tire sizes really that important? I can get XX tire cheaper then what i need, how much will my speedo be out by?
Answer: The stock wheel size for the GT4 in this case is 215/50/15. As most of you guys would have found out when buying tires in this size. It is near impossible! And if you do find some. They arn't cheap. The closest tire you will find is a 205/55/15. But thats besides the point.

If you are going up wheel sizes, keep in mind that the profile of the tire will change the rolling diameter of the wheel, in turn will also change the reading on your speed.

For example, a 215/40/17 tire will have a 1.3% greater rolling diameter. That means at 100km/h on the speedo, your actually going 101.3km/h

Lets goto another popular example. Commodore sized tire at 235/45/17 tire. It has a 7.9% greater rolling diameter, that means at 100km/h on the speedo, your actually doing 107.9km/h.

So be very careful with tire sizes. It maybe cheap, but are speeding tickets worth it?
An Apexi RSM has speed adjustment for larger tires, handy tool if you have the cash. Otherwise, the old 'marker on the plastic' works well.

Handy Link: http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

#4 -==L=a=N=c=E==-

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

The Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:10 PM

Suspension

Question: I want to improve the suspension on my car, what options are out there?
Answer: Whiteline make a complete suspension package for the GT4, im not to sure if they are also usable on the none GT4, but i can't see why not since the suspension package is just about the same.
Replacement struts can be had from KYB, Monroe, and custom jobbies, but make sure they are rated and valved suitable to your car. The GT4 is more nose heavy, so normal ST184 struts will only blow out after a while.
Springs can be had from anywhere. King springs make standard, low and super low springs. Lovell do the same. Pedders offers springs as well. Dobinson make springs for whiteline, so they use the same springs.
The old saying goes, shop around. Plenty out there, and talk to your local suspension shop.

#5 -==L=a=N=c=E==-

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

The Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:10 PM

Intentionally Left Blank

#6 -==L=a=N=c=E==-

-==L=a=N=c=E==-

The Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:39 PM

Random

Question: You often bag out microtech's. They are cheap and easy to tune, so why do you have an issue with them?
Answer: I've never had an issue with microtech's. They do the job as advertised. And yes they are cheap, and everyone out there can tune them.

What i don't like about them, and there is only one thing, is the lack of closed loop fuel and ignition control.
What is closed loop fuel? closed loop fuel controls your fuel usage at cruise. Thats what gives you the economy when your not pounding your car around.
The economy you get with a microtech, will the same as driving around with your O2 sensor disconnected. Try it some time, and see how much economy you get.

At the current fuel prices, i'd be wanting to get as much economy as possible.

Thats my only gripe with microtech. If they introduced a ecu with closed loop fuel control minimum. Then i would happily place my money on the table with them.

Edited by -==L=a=N=c=E==-, 13 October 2005 - 02:23 PM.

#7 zen_phoenix

zen_phoenix

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:5th Generation Celica Nut!

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hi ppls, where can I get a full body kit for 1992 SX ? Anywhere other than CARMATE?

#8 DunkyMonkey

DunkyMonkey

& Crazy Gen3 3SGE

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 5,884 posts
  • Interests:music, cars, girls, cars, movies, girls and cars

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:10 PM

ohhh richards gonna be mad that ppl are messing up his thread!!!!!
buddy go make your own thread you will get more replys, from memory most body kits are made in US, but several places in aus that will fabricate them from scratch
IPB Image

#9 spottydog4477

spottydog4477

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • STATE:SA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

I have a 93 st 184 - what wout it be? a - 3S-FE, 5S-FE, 3S-GE?

thank you

#10 pinkst162formylady

pinkst162formylady

OZCelica Junkie

• WA Moderator
  • 4,446 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

5sfe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users