#31 51EKA

51EKA

OZCelica Guru

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 5,812 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

Nah... once you put the order in, it shouldn't take anymore than 2 weeks to get your part.
14.434@98.40mph 2.223 60' - Mods: Injen Intake, 2.5" exhaust, PFC
12.878@114.02mph 2.170 60' - Mods: Gt3076r @ 10.5psi/205.2kw (276hp) atw
SOLD - 1999 Toyota Celica SX 2zz-gTe

Current cars -
2006 Nissan Navara St-x
2002 Mazda Rx-7 S8 Type R Bathurst

#32 BASHO

BASHO

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(51EKA @ Aug 4 2007, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah... once you put the order in, it shouldn't take anymore than 2 weeks to get your part.

I'd better get working on the mileage pretty quick then chuckles.gif--- is it best to get these replaced now at 10000 and thats the end of it permanently-- or is this a service issue whereby these will need replacing at 40 or 50 thousand anyway no matter which of the bolts are in there ??
Cheers , Al.

#33 51EKA

51EKA

OZCelica Guru

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 5,812 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

It's better to replace them every 40-50ks. Because they wear out over time whether you hit lift or not.
14.434@98.40mph 2.223 60' - Mods: Injen Intake, 2.5" exhaust, PFC
12.878@114.02mph 2.170 60' - Mods: Gt3076r @ 10.5psi/205.2kw (276hp) atw
SOLD - 1999 Toyota Celica SX 2zz-gTe

Current cars -
2006 Nissan Navara St-x
2002 Mazda Rx-7 S8 Type R Bathurst

#34 BASHO

BASHO

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE(51EKA @ Aug 4 2007, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's better to replace them every 40-50ks. Because they wear out over time whether you hit lift or not.

Thanks for all your help mate, just one other thing--Toyota have given me a torque down figure of 40Ft/Lbs for these and I noticed one of the possible causes of bolt fracture ITFP is over tightening at the point of manufacture , I also noted a coment by someone who was refiting the bolts that when they tightened the bolts to the manual specified torque one of the new ones sheared , do you know if the 40Ft/Lbs figure is the correct "safe" figure ?
Cheers , Al.

#35 vtec_yeah?

vtec_yeah?

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:33 PM

how much does it roughly cost to get a mechanic to do this?

#36 magyar

magyar

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (vtec_yeah? @ Sep 22 2007, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how much does it roughly cost to get a mechanic to do this?

????

#37 funke

funke

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:54 PM

Put the car into 6th gear and roll it forwards untill the white mark on the main pulley lines up with 0'

What about auto? probably does not matter that much as you say:

I dont know why the TSB says to do this, I think its more for removing the timing chain and stuff, I did it just incase

...so prob not a big deal.
Celica ZZT 231R - 9:1 2ZZ-GE - Trust Power Extreme II axle back exhaust - H&R Springs - Lenso Concept Five 18" - Veilside Bodykit

#38 pras

pras

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hey Guys,

I drive Celica SX and it is driven around 130k , I do not feel much lift in 6000 rpm. unsure.gif

But I do not have much idea about this. confuse.gif

If I say to mechanic that I need to replace Lift Bolt they know what to do isn't . From where should I buy these ? ( Toyota Dealer )

Thanks
Pras

#39 jtype

jtype

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (pras @ Apr 30 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Guys,

I drive Celica SX and it is driven around 130k , I do not feel much lift in 6000 rpm. unsure.gif

But I do not have much idea about this. confuse.gif

If I say to mechanic that I need to replace Lift Bolt they know what to do isn't . From where should I buy these ? ( Toyota Dealer )

Thanks
Pras

What year is your car if it's 03+, it will have the new bolts I think. You can check yourself just follow this guide. You can get the bolts from Toyota Dealer they cost a few dollars. I did mine myself but mine weren't broken so it was easy. If you want to try this yourself but want help you can try to get someone here to give you a hand, some of us might even have spare bolts.

#40 pras

pras

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hey mate,

It is 2000 Model

Actually I couldn't find the guide in this thread unsure.gif

Where is it?

QUOTE (jtype @ May 1 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What year is your car if it's 03+, it will have the new bolts I think. You can check yourself just follow this guide. You can get the bolts from Toyota Dealer they cost a few dollars. I did mine myself but mine weren't broken so it was easy. If you want to try this yourself but want help you can try to get someone here to give you a hand, some of us might even have spare bolts.

#41 pras

pras

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

Ah found it Mate laugh.gif

QUOTE (pras @ May 1 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey mate,

It is 2000 Model

Actually I couldn't find the guide in this thread unsure.gif

Where is it?

#42 pras

pras

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I had look instructions given by Targa90 and it is well explained . But honestly I am scared to do . ghey.gif

Either I will ask my Toyota dealer or mechanic to do .

QUOTE (pras @ May 1 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah found it Mate laugh.gif

#43 mactor33

mactor33

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

was planning to change mine too...
wondering where i can buy it from and how much "NSW"
ZZT231R Celica SOLD

#44 anhphuongvu

anhphuongvu

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:37 AM

i got mine for $1.35 each...

its heaps cheaps. just go to any toyota part seller (the real one)... and give them the part number. they would most likely have to get it delivered. delivery to the toyota place is like an extra 25c on top

Edited by anhphuongvu, 05 May 2009 - 09:37 AM.

#45 mactor33

mactor33

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

ah.. cheap eh...
idk where mine is lol..

have you replaced yours?
ZZT231R Celica SOLD

#46 anhphuongvu

anhphuongvu

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

yeah i replaced mine. its cheaper to get the bolt changed when you get your car serviced. so it wont be as expensive.

#47 road and track

road and track

VENDOR: Road & Track (QLD)

• APPROVED VENDOR
  • 1,773 posts
  • Interests:car racing

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

seeing this is still relevant, I thought I'd add a bit based on experience doing them....

For those who dont understand, the "lift bolts" control the placement of the rocker shaft in the 2ZZ cylinder head and don't actually"lift" anything.
The bolt has a "tit" on the end of them them that goes into a mating hole in the rocker shaft, and holds the shaft in position. In particular, it stops it moving or twisting and potentially cutting off oil supply. The pictures in the guide show the "tit"
Even though the factory change point is 2002, I have encountered some later cars with the early type bolts in them . I cant explain this
The replacement Toyota bolts (latest spec) are definitely not a 100% solution as the "tit"on the end still fails to hold the shaft totally rigid. We specially make replacement bolts for serious race engines.
Engines with broken lift bolts sometimes exhibit significant cam lobe wear, some to the point of throw-away
If they are not broken, then there may be a small wear mark on the lower tapered section. This is nothing to worry about, but they are so cheap, its not worth not changing them. The guide written in this section shows a picture of a bolt with the wear obvious
If all you get out is a threaded screw with no "tit" on the end, then expect a whole day job following the guide. Dont take this on unless you are confident about resetting the timing chain etc.
Any metal swarf left in the engine from the removal process, spells disaster.
If the bolts are not broken, then changing them takes about 1-1.5 hrs
Changing non-broken bolts will not offer any performance change.
The torque on the bolt is only 6 ft-lbs. much tighter than about 15 ft-lbs will probably strip the thread in the head. this torque is negligible and you need a special torque wrench to measure it

Edited by road and track, 19 May 2010 - 10:20 PM.

Road and Track

Terry
0417-687161

whilst  I'm happy to deal with email , phone text and internet forum queries, for rapid or complex answers, please use the telephone and speak to me. if perchance the phone is busy, or does not answer, i may be with another customer or under a car on a hoist. Please leave a message. thanks

#48 CelicaGTSZR19

CelicaGTSZR19

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hey Guys,

My mechanic couldn't get the intake bolt (separated) out but managed to get the worn exhaust one out. As a result I have to go to Toyota and my dealership believes that the engine will have to come out :s He had no idea and has never done a lift bolt replacement before and by looking at the TSB that was earlier linked on this page told me it was american and compleatley irrelevant despite the engine codes and part numbers match perfectly. As a result I'm up for a $2000.00 operation and the car gone for a week. I know this is compleatley unnecessary and he also believes there were no problems with the 00-02 Celica's so for everyone who has gone to a dealership to have this problem fixed or have any evidence of recalls in other countries could I please have a copy of that documentation so I can claim an "out of warranty claim" for my dealership to pay for the service (rightfully so). I need a sufficient amount of evidence so head office can record this for future reference. I would be so thankful if just a couple of you could help me.

Cheers, Matt
With the explosive VVTL-I engine, one drive and everything else feels slow

#49 anhphuongvu

anhphuongvu

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

here you go
Fuking official toyota guide on replacing the bolt!!!
everything you need is all there. TSB number etc

http://www.users.on....s/liftbolts.pdf

Edited by anhphuongvu, 18 June 2012 - 11:42 PM.

• roleypup and CelicaGTSZR19 like this

#50 2many2s

2many2s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Will be doing this on mine shortly. Thanks for the info.

#51 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • Interests:Metal Music, Coffee, Cars, Bikes, Computers

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hey Guys,

My mechanic couldn't get the intake bolt (separated) out but managed to get the worn exhaust one out. As a result I have to go to Toyota and my dealership believes that the engine will have to come out :s He had no idea and has never done a lift bolt replacement before and by looking at the TSB that was earlier linked on this page told me it was american and compleatley irrelevant despite the engine codes and part numbers match perfectly. As a result I'm up for a $2000.00 operation and the car gone for a week. I know this is compleatley unnecessary and he also believes there were no problems with the 00-02 Celica's so for everyone who has gone to a dealership to have this problem fixed or have any evidence of recalls in other countries could I please have a copy of that documentation so I can claim an "out of warranty claim" for my dealership to pay for the service (rightfully so). I need a sufficient amount of evidence so head office can record this for future reference. I would be so thankful if just a couple of you could help me.

Cheers, Matt

If its stuck in there, like the other guide written up by Targa, just use a smaller drill bit to eat into the stuck bolt and unwind it. Once its out, its free and replace.

my 2 bolts @ $1.30 each arrived yesty will get today and replace today. It looks like such a simple job if they arent broken, its just unbolt, drop new bolts in tighten and done. I wouldnt set timing to TDC, as you shouldnt have to remove the cam gears, just unbolt, new bolts in tighten done.
It looks about as complicated as putting a screw in wood. If your skills cant extend that far, then do not attempt.

Edited by Thirteen13, 19 June 2012 - 12:21 PM.

Posted Image

#52 CelicaGTSZR19

CelicaGTSZR19

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Unfortunately my case is not as simple as Targa's :(. My intake bolt is not a clean cut the remaining half of the bolt is lieing in the hole on an angle so its impossible to drill out which means the rod in which it sits will have to be pulled out. My mechanic is one of the best, yet because he didn't expect such a difficult job he thought he could remove them like Targa's but doesn't have the workshop or time to remove them as he is a mobile mechanic. He said I need to see Toyota :(

#53 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Ah well then that wont be so fun. I still cant see why the motor needs to be pulled at. AT MOST pull the head off. But why does the bottom end need to come out..

What you could do at this point is get all the consumables replaced if they pull the head off.. Get new headgasket, new water pump, oil pump, new belts etc etc

Saves having to do it down the track. Get the lift bolts done too!
  • roleypup likes this
Posted Image

#54 CelicaGTSZR19

CelicaGTSZR19

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

They said if they were to do it as per the TSB there would not be enough space to work with when your getting the timing chain off and sliding those rods out :s. I told them I know several celica owners and dealerships who have done this before and it was not required to pull the engine out, with this new knowledge he changed the quote to $800 so pulling the head off won't be necessary and therefore I might just wait for all those things for a later time when I have the money haha. Its still robbery and I'll be looking very closely at the invoice once its all done but since they are pulling the drive belt off I might get them to replace that.

#55 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Replace all the consumables from that side, like water pump etc
Posted Image

#56 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Got my valve cover gasket and bolts sitting here ready to go.
Posted Image

#57 Musso7

Musso7

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Just ordered my lift bolts today...and a gasket too. Used them part numbers & the guy I talked to said "there's been a fair bit of them ordered lately" so they have them in stock. Hopefully picking them up tomorrow. Then changing them on the weekend...
My Celica has 194 xxx K's on it...& I still have lift, & I made sure I asked the previous owner if he changed the bolts & he said no, only a gasket. Also, no record in the service book saying they have been changed...I know lift isn't as strong as it could be, so I suspect a bolt Is broken.
But yeah 194 xxx K's & still have lift, new record?

#58 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Not all bolts break. I pulled the original bolts out and they had a little bit of wear after 100km but not that much. Corolla Celica and lotus all use them
Posted Image

#59 Musso7

Musso7

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Well hopefully I'm one of the extremely lucky ones ^.^

#60 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

i dont think really think its THAT common of a problem. I mean people do experience it, but ive heard of more people beoing worried about it, changing it out and having a bit of wear but not totalled bolts. So its not a huge drama, There is obviously a reason why toyota revised the design and its most likely for this reason, but if your lift works then your bolt cant be broken.

Judging from the design and operation of lift, if the bolts are broken then i dont think lift will engage
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users