Tones

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Supersprints and trackdays
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

Hi guys,

I'm sure most of you have experienced the belt squeak when starting the celica in the morning or after rain. There is a TSB on this and Sydney City Toyota have replaced the belt pretensioner on my Celica under warranty. Unfortunately the squeak still existed. After searching through nc.org i purchased a Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V belt to solve the problem. The part no. is 4060763 (size 6PK1940) and I ordered mine from AIMS Industrial in Padstow NSW (02) 9773 0122 for about AUD$50.

To install is a simple task that even a novice like myself could do.

What you need:
- 19mm wrench/spanner
- Gatorback part no. 4060763 (size 6PK1940)
- jack & jack stands
- philips head screwdriver
- wrench to remove wheel

Steps:
1. Jack front right wheel, place car on jack stand, & remove Front Right wheel
2. Unscrew the two screws holding on the plastic shield in the wheel well. Remove the plastic plugs holding on the front right under carriage plastic shield. Pull down the plastic shields to reveal the lower pulley from the wheel well.
3. Open up the bonnet & remove the plastic surround on left when facing the windscreen (ie plastic closest to the front right wheel)
4. Use the 19mm wrench to lever on the pretensioner. There is a hex shaped bolt for this (actually, its not a bolt but you'll know what i mean when you see it). Pull the wrench towards the front bumper in order to loosen the belt
5. Whilst the belt is loose, pull it out (take note of how it snakes around the pulleys)
6. Replace with the Gatorback. You'll need to pull/lever on the pretensioner again to get the last pulley done. Do the upper pulley closest to the front bumper last.
7. Make sure the belt aligns correctly, replace all the plastic shields, and bolt the wheel back on. Done :mrgreen:

Posted Image

#2 Tones

Tones

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

Suppliers from post http://www.ozcelica....?showtopic=3224

NSW: 02 9768 6000.

Call that number to find out ur nearest stocker.

View Post

autobarn at villawood said they can get me a gates gatorback belt for $40

View Post

I'll chip in here. I got mine from Metropolitan Industrial Supplies (West Sydney, they are in the White Pages) delivered for $58.30. I was required to direct deposit the money to their account first, so a bit of a risk but no problems. Took about 3 working days to arrive. Their number is (02) 4731 2005.

The tensioner was very hard to lever using a normal spanner (20cm). Even using the spanner on a spanner trick was very hard. I gave up after 2 hours of my old man and me trying. The next day I got the small spanner and attached it to a 1 metre pole (about 1 cm thick) using some thick wire. Took about 10 seconds to lever the tensioner. :wave1:

The belt's been squeakless for a few months now. I recommend doing this.

View Post

Ride 2000 ZZT231 | Gallery | Installs EBC greenstuff brake pads | Gatorback
Wakefield 1:13.7120 | Oran Park GP 1:30.0156 | Oran Park South 56.3600 | Winton 1:52.3650 | Marulan 0:48.7
SMSP South 1:08.636 | SMSP North 1:21.686 | SMSP Brabham 2:24.895 | SMSP GP 1:57.231

http://jscc.asn.au
http://facebook.com/...iscRaceDivision

#3 Tones

Tones

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:09 PM

Other solutions:

Nulon Sillicone spray lubricant

spray it onto the friction side of the belt while the engine is running, it will probhably make a bit of a mess that u can jsut wipe up later with a damp cloth

I did it once, and then did it again a week later, that was 9 months ago, I've never had to re-treat it.

if its been a cold and rainy night (10 degrees or less, I park in a garage) then it squeaks for about 5 mins, but that is to be expected, its only rubber.

View Post

Another solution:
Candle wax

Rub it onto the friction side of the belt while the engine is running CAUTION BECAREFUL NOT TO INJURE YOURSELF. This solution seems to last 1-2 weeks.
Wakefield 1:13.7120 | Oran Park GP 1:30.0156 | Oran Park South 56.3600 | Winton 1:52.3650 | Marulan 0:48.7
SMSP South 1:08.636 | SMSP North 1:21.686 | SMSP Brabham 2:24.895 | SMSP GP 1:57.231

#4 Tinkz

Tinkz

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

i bought a good year gator back for $40 today from aims ind
IPB Image NOT!!!

#5 Tinkz

Tinkz

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

man thanks to ur guide my mechanic changed my belt, it really helped alot because he was trying to take off this strange look hex bolt attached to the tensioner, he had so much trouble so i looked at this guide to see how u done it and we realised we were doing the wrong thing
IPB Image NOT!!!

#6 The__J__Factor

The__J__Factor

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:37 AM

this is interesting coz i think my car has just started to make this noise,,,i havnt realy tested all the options, so im not sure if its just the cold start up that makes it or its my timing belt.

im at 67 xxxkms maybe its just time to change the timeing belt?

Z4 ///M Coupe - 253whp
Rotrex Celica - 280whp Sold

#7 Snowman

Snowman

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Celica's, drawing, music (all sorts)...

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

If you are out on a cruise or out and about and you get belt squeek - which can be pretty embarrassing, here is a quick-fix (although will need cleaning up later on when you get home).

Pour on a little powerade, or gatorade, coke, anything sugary!!..... with the belt spinning, works like a charm, but to save the belt getting eaten from the acids in coke, wash it off when you get home...

Not a solution, just something I tried once and worked - I was super embarrassed and didn't have any tools with me to adjust the belt (and was night-time).

just a little tip......

Cheers

:)

#8 Tones

Tones

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:31 AM

this is interesting coz i think my car has just started to make this noise,,,i havnt realy tested all the options, so im not sure if its just the cold start up that makes it or its my timing belt.

im at 67 xxxkms maybe its just time to change the timeing belt?

The 7th gen doesn't have a timing belt, it uses a timing chain. The belt squeak is coming from the accessory belt aka serpentine belt.

#9 The__J__Factor

The__J__Factor

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

^ thanks man, i didnt know that.

well thats good news, i dont realy no which cars r belt or chain driven, except for s2000 i love that car so much,
anyway in about a week or two ill fix this

Z4 ///M Coupe - 253whp
Rotrex Celica - 280whp Sold

#10 Targa90

Targa90

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

another distributor, highly reccomended, good price and fast shipping:

http://www.piesau.com.au/

$55 inc GST shipped to SA, have to pay in advance via direct deposit
Targa90: Nathan
IPB Image IPB Image
2000 ZR - SOLD!

#11 Sexylica

Sexylica

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

If you are out on a cruise or out and about and you get belt squeek - which can be pretty embarrassing, here is a quick-fix (although will need cleaning up later on when you get home).

Pour on a little powerade, or gatorade, coke, anything sugary!!..... with the belt spinning, works like a charm, but to save the belt getting eaten from the acids in coke, wash it off when you get home...

Not a solution, just something I tried once and worked - I was super embarrassed and didn't have any tools with me to adjust the belt (and was night-time).

just a little tip......

Cheers

:chuckles:

WHAAAT? are you serious?!?! haha shit you're a brave man

#12 vvtl-i

vvtl-i

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

I just solved the squeaking using "3-in-one Professional Silicone Spray Lubricant" available at Bunnings for about 6 bucks a can.

The squeak was quite loud and had been around for about a few days. I sprayed a bit on the belt where it goes to the alternator, and it seemed to disappear straight away. smile.gif

#13 vvtl-i

vvtl-i

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:58 AM

Well that didn't last long, not even a whole day and the squeak has come back sad.gif

Anyone know where I can get the good year belt in Perth?

#14 vvtl-i

vvtl-i

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

Reply I got from Goodyear

Thank you for your enquiry with Goodyear Tyres.

For pricing and availability of belts please call the appropriate state number as listed below:

NSW - 02 9768 6020

VIC, TAS, SA - 03 9721 0609

WA - 08 9478 9200

QLD - 07 3275 7000

Kind regards

Customer Service
Goodyear Tyres

#15 anhphuongvu

anhphuongvu

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

BUMP!

i been trying to look for this item for over a week!
i've tried many numbers listed in this post but many of them are not too good as its been years since this reply.

AIMS ind doesnt open on weekend, and its going to be a little hard on me to get one from there. i dont use credit card, so it maybe even harder if i have to put a deposit/pay for it before they can order it. ill contact them again again this week.

PS: sucks working as casual, lose a whole day of pay!

EDIT:
i got mines from AIMS industrial today. 27/02
they did say it was going to be like a 3-4weeks to get it ordered in, but to my surprise they rang me and said they still had one in stock

cost $80 tho but im cool with it

im just waitin for a call back from the mechanic to tell me when he has replaced the belt and the lift bolts =D

Edited by anhphuongvu, 27 February 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#16 Moe

Moe

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Rugby League and most sports in general, Music, computers and obviously my Celica

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

Just ordered one from AIMS $75

Going to get it installed with a new clutch and servie.

#17 celicajim

celicajim

OZCelica Junkie

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 2,075 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:17 PM

- Gatorback part no. 4060763 (size 6PK1940)

I just called AIMS and quoted the 2 numbers and the guy said the first one means nothing to him and the 2nd one wasn't in the system??? WTF?

EDIT: eBay to the rescue - $57.20 Delivered

Edited by celicajim, 02 November 2009 - 12:36 PM.

Celica ---| 117.5 fwkw | 1:44.19 - Winton (Semi Slicks) | 1:48.53 - Winton (Street Tyres) | 1:13.39 - Wakefield (Semi Slicks) | 1:16.17 - Wakefield (Street Tyres) | Phillip Island 2:07.62 (MM & Semi Slicks) | My Celica |
Silvia ----| 133.3 rwkw | 1:XX.XX - Winton (Semi Slicks) | 1:43.67 - Winton (Street Tyres) | 1:XX.XX - Wakefield (Semi Slicks) | 1:12.77 - Wakefield (Street Tyres) | Phillip Island X:XX.XX (Semi Slicks) |

#18 Tones

Tones

Forum Member

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

hahaha It's been around 4 years so I'm not surprised. The Part No was a Goodyear Gatorback one. It isn't AIM Industrial's part number.

#19 celicajim

celicajim

OZCelica Junkie

• OZCelica Supporter
  • 2,075 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:24 AM

I changed my belt on the weekend. Mainly cause it was getting old, but also it was squeaking when cold.
Its hard to read but Im pretty sure the old one had 6PK1930 as the part no. ?
I put the 6PK1940 on anyway and it seems to work fine, its not a Gatorback but its not squeaking so hopefully it'll do the trick for a while.

Also had to modify(*Grind) one end of my 19mm ring spanner so it would fit inside my breaker bar lolhit.gif
That nut thing that you use to leaver the tensioner is a bit soft too, it was trying to round itself off even with a ring spanner...?

Celica ---| 117.5 fwkw | 1:44.19 - Winton (Semi Slicks) | 1:48.53 - Winton (Street Tyres) | 1:13.39 - Wakefield (Semi Slicks) | 1:16.17 - Wakefield (Street Tyres) | Phillip Island 2:07.62 (MM & Semi Slicks) | My Celica |
Silvia ----| 133.3 rwkw | 1:XX.XX - Winton (Semi Slicks) | 1:43.67 - Winton (Street Tyres) | 1:XX.XX - Wakefield (Semi Slicks) | 1:12.77 - Wakefield (Street Tyres) | Phillip Island X:XX.XX (Semi Slicks) |

#20 Moe

Moe

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Rugby League and most sports in general, Music, computers and obviously my Celica

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

had mine installed yesterday, but i can hear it spinning now when i listen carefully.

Should i just leave it overtime and as the dust/grime builds up the noise will dissapear? or should i lubricate it?

#21 reddahaydn

reddahaydn

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, Footy, Mates, Fishing so on and so forth

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hey Guys,

Mine sounds like the idler pulley bearing has gone. At first it was the belt making a bit of noise then I sprayed some lube on it, got rid of the noice for a bit, but after a while (few minutes) came back worse.
the fact that it went away means I still think it might be an external problem and not the bearing, there was a little line of different wear on the pulley, but still, it sounds a lot like a bearing.
has anyone else had this problem?

#22 k2roo

k2roo

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

Stick of dri-lube. Problem solved.

#23 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • Interests:Metal Music, Coffee, Cars, Bikes, Computers
  • STATE:WA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

I am putting in my personal recommendation for a Gates belt. I realise everyone who has had a squeak wants to get rid of it. However the Gato is proving to be a bit of an issue for some people to source. I recently installed a Gates belt which i picked up from Repco for $50 on Trade price (Ensure you ask for a discount on whatever price they offer you).

I can confirm the size 6PK1940 is what i used and it fits perfectly. The tensioner will need some force to move it, but then you dont want a loose belt!

I had a few little squeaks on my 101,000km old belt and some silicon sprey quieted it down, however the belt had cracked and was split and freying badly, so any cheap replacement would do the job. However i've used Gates belts in the past and tested again, and its great.
If any of your spinning parts on that circuit are old or need replacing this could also squeak. However due to tensioner on the motor, it will automatically tension upto correct spec, so if your new belt is still squeaking then its a POS.

But for $50 and a job that took about 45 minutes with cleaning done along the way, its cheap, easy and provides nice results.

Edited by Thirteen13, 09 July 2012 - 10:11 AM.

Posted Image

#24 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Celica, more Celica, even more Celica.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

Sorry to bring back a old pinned thread but over the two years are there any other options out there?

Got my engine replaced a while ago by some minimum wage mechanics and the belt they put in sounds like it came from a industrial fan from the 90's.

Anywhere I can still order the gates belt or is there a better alternative now? I don't mind ordering from Australia or Europe, y'all are nicer than most muricans.

#25 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

Haha appreciate the international love. My belt too has started to squeal like an industrial fan. The gatorback belt is hard to come by these days and not to mention expensive.  I'm a big fan of MWR parts and they recommend the gates belt. for $30 excluding delivery I think thats the way I'm going to go. I just need to save some money so I can place a big order.

#26 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

How big of an order are we talking? :) I almost bought their turbo kit but decided to go water cooled.

And lucky for me they are located only a few hours away!

#27 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

My gates one that i put on as mentioned above is still in tip top shape. never made a squeak since ive had it.

Posted Image

#28 ZRB

ZRB

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

Wait, so what's this belt for seeing that there is no timing belt, rather a chain?

#29 Dezrook

Dezrook

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

It's for all the accessory stuff, ac, power steering, alternator, etc.

And Mwr still carries them so I'm for sure gonna pick one up.

#30 Thirteen13

Thirteen13

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

Serpentine belt. Only 1 on 2ZZ-GE. As mentioned AC, PS, Alt, Water pump. Should do the water pump while your at it too.

Has a timing chain also.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users