MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

Gates belt is crap. Mine is starting to squeal, I'm going to have to take some dry lube to it. We need a new alternative

#32 ausjd2703

ausjd2703

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • STATE:QLD

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:25 AM

Just FYI CBC bearings are distributors for gates belts so can get any belt they make. Should be cheaper than repco too.

ADM ST185 running Gen 3 3SGTE with GTX2867, Haltech PS1000, Racepak dash, Wilwood 330mm four piston fronts. work CR Kais 17-8. full 3" exhaust. FMIC.

#33 MattsZR_126

MattsZR_126

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • STATE:NSW

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Thats as maybe but my point is that the belt gates make for the celica isn't worth it. Would rather recommend OEM overpriced Toyota belt.

#34 Botch

Botch

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • STATE:WA

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

I'm also in the market for a new belt, apparently my one is cracking already so needs replacement.  Been trying to source the Conti/Goodyear belts as recommended but can't find anyone in WA, let alone nationally, that stocks them.  Had a look online and it seems I'd have to import from the US.  A quick search seems to show about AU$70-80 landed for the belt.

I'm not hugely sold on Gates given some people's experience with them and MattsZR_126 recommends the Toyota OEM over the gates so not sure.  Anyone tried any other brands like Bosch?

#35 Botch

Botch

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

Given the amount of activity recently I don't expect many replies but figure it might be worth posting for future reference. 

I managed to get in contact with Contitech (Continental) Australia who provided me with my state's (WA) local rep.  He then gave me the contacts of a local distributor, Applied Industrial.  I have to admit the whole process was quite good, kudos to Contitech Australia for contacting me after sending an enquiry via their site.

I gave Applied Industrial a ring today and they confirmed with me that the particular belt we are after is not available in Australia (I gave them parts number 4060763 and size 6PK1940 - the guy advised the size number is what he needs).  However they will see if they can order it from the US which will then come via Melbourne.  I was quoted a price of $23 just for the belt but not sure if I will have to pay freight (assuming it's possible).  Anyhow these guys plan to get back to me tomorrow. 

If there is anyone in Perth that wants one desperately let me know asap as there could be savings in postage :) 

For those on the east coast, I was also told by one of the Contitech guys that a mob called "HiSpec" in Queensland would be worth contacting, so just google that if you're interested.

#36 Lockster

Lockster

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • STATE:VIC

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

Given the amount of activity recently I don't expect many replies but figure it might be worth posting for future reference. 

I managed to get in contact with Contitech (Continental) Australia who provided me with my state's (WA) local rep.  He then gave me the contacts of a local distributor, Applied Industrial.  I have to admit the whole process was quite good, kudos to Contitech Australia for contacting me after sending an enquiry via their site.

I gave Applied Industrial a ring today and they confirmed with me that the particular belt we are after is not available in Australia (I gave them parts number 4060763 and size 6PK1940 - the guy advised the size number is what he needs).  However they will see if they can order it from the US which will then come via Melbourne.  I was quoted a price of $23 just for the belt but not sure if I will have to pay freight (assuming it's possible).  Anyhow these guys plan to get back to me tomorrow. 

If there is anyone in Perth that wants one desperately let me know asap as there could be savings in postage :)

For those on the east coast, I was also told by one of the Contitech guys that a mob called "HiSpec" in Queensland would be worth contacting, so just google that if you're interested.

Mate I'm actually in Perth and need a new belt right now. Reading this thread recently I was looking for the Gates belt, seeing as more people seemed to have positive experience with it than not. Found a couple of Australian suppliers, but I also looked up the Gates Australia website and looked through their catalogue, and they list the 2ZZ-GE as needing size SPK1930, not SPK1940. I actually came back here to ask if anyone else noticed this, cause I don't want to order the wrong size.

You said you were trying to source the Conti/Goodyear belts - does that mean the Contitech belt is the Goodyear one mentioned in the original post? If so and it's been recommended by other owners I'd definitely be in on getting one shipped as long as it doesn't cost too much. Did the Contitech guys get back to you today? 

#37 Botch

Botch

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

Mate I'm actually in Perth and need a new belt right now. Reading this thread recently I was looking for the Gates belt, seeing as more people seemed to have positive experience with it than not. Found a couple of Australian suppliers, but I also looked up the Gates Australia website and looked through their catalogue, and they list the 2ZZ-GE as needing size SPK1930, not SPK1940. I actually came back here to ask if anyone else noticed this, cause I don't want to order the wrong size.

You said you were trying to source the Conti/Goodyear belts - does that mean the Contitech belt is the Goodyear one mentioned in the original post? If so and it's been recommended by other owners I'd definitely be in on getting one shipped as long as it doesn't cost too much. Did the Contitech guys get back to you today? 

Hey Lockster, Applied Industrial (a distributor of Continental products) did get back to me and confirmed they could get the belt im after but it had to be imported from the US.  I had two options:

1) ~4 weeks -> $23 belt + $45 shipping + gst

2) ~12 weeks -> $23 belt + $20 shipping + gst (shipping charges are from Melb to Perth.

I decided to go for the cheapest option (cost me $47.30) as I'll be on holidays for a little while so not so important for me.  However, depending on how soon you need this belt, you might be better off with the Gates?

The other alternative is to buy off Ebay or Amazon (both Goodyear and Continental branded belts are available from what I saw).

If you were keen on waiting ~4 weeks we could potentially split the shipping cost (if Applied Industrial allow me to change the shipping option). This is assuming the cost of postage doesn't increase for multiple belts.

According to Contitech the Goodyear Gatorbacks are in the process of being rebranded Continental and are the same belts. According to Continental website, the Goodyear Gatorback belts should be the same as the Continental Elite Poly V belts.

#38 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:24 AM

Was curious which supplier most people are going through at the moment? I'd be willing to spend around $50 for one if it was in Australia.

#39 Lockster

Lockster

OZCelica Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

Was curious which supplier most people are going through at the moment? I'd be willing to spend around $50 for one if it was in Australia.

Hey mate, I just purchased a Contitech belt off Ebay and would definitely recommend.

I contacted Continental's Australian office in Perth and they couldn't refer me to a single Australian supplier who had what I needed, the only other option they could give me was to ship one from Germany and I was quoted close to $80 total. The one I bought off Ebay cost me $47 including shipping, and despite being shipped from UK arrived in 6 days. Pretty stoked with that hey. This is the seller I bought it through: http://www.ebay.com....=item487f658f7f

If you want this belt this was way quicker, cheaper and easier than any other option I could find.

#40 trd_st_162

trd_st_162

OZCelica Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

Oh mad thanks very much for the info. I will be sure to place an order. Can I ask what sort of symptoms you were experiencing prior to installing this new belt?

Adrian

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users